What's new

Experience with First "Real" Brush.

I just started DE shaving about 3 months ago. I got an inexpensive starter brush to get going and focused on hoarding soap, blades, and some razors--hardly paying the brush any mind. I shave both face and head, so focus was on not decapitating myself or going into work looking like my head was attacked by a hornet's nest.

I picked up an Omega 20102 that was on sale at Maggard Razors and tried it over the weekend: what an incredible difference! Before I wasn't getting anything close to the lathers I saw on the YouTube videos and now it's positively amazing--and I still don't think I'm close to getting the technique down.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

I'm 8 months in and still learning tons! My first brush was a little starter badger brush from AOS. It served its purpose in getting me started. Later I, like you, found that i wasn't getting those lathers that I saw other people getting, and the brush didn't seem to have good backbone. A friend of mine (also vintage shaver) had a custom designed boar brush he bought while traveling abroad. He allowed me to use it just once and that was a total eye opening experience. Without to much effort, I got a mess load of lather in under 35 seconds of loading. It held the lather beautifully and didn't give up even after all 3 shaving passes i did. Amazing think about vintage shaving is that the first time someone cartridge shaves, its just like "yay I shaved!" but that quickly dies down cause it becomes more of a chore, rather than a experience.... but the first time you shave with a brush and DE razor.. its mind blowing!

I just started DE shaving about 3 months ago. I got an inexpensive starter brush to get going and focused on hoarding soap, blades, and some razors--hardly paying the brush any mind.

Just curious, what was your starter brush? What do you think is the difference is between the starter and the Omega?

I bought an Escali Pure Badger Brush from Amazon and before I knew it the brush became a tangled knot. I combed it out but then it was like using a cotton ball...

Last edited:
I bought an AoS pure badger brush around 15 months ago, and I got a custom made brush in extra dense silvertip badger a week ago. It's like night and day! I was not unhappy with the AoS brush, but it seems like I was simply happily ignorant. ;)

Remember to soak your boar for a few minutes before each use.

I usually leave it soak while I am in the shower. Will keep working on helping it shed its slightly beastly funk, but it is bearable... or boarable, I suppose...

Top Bottom