What's new

How Long Do French Style Soaps Last?

I'm very interested in French style soaps and most recently I have tried MdC Fougere. MdC has a reputation for lasting a long time, but how long do other French style soaps such as Catie's Bubbles or LASS last? Any information you can offer would be great. I really like the MdC Fougere scent and I saw LASS has a similar scent so I'm thinking of checking it out.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
LASSC fougere isn't similar to MdC fougere, and I haven't found anything that really is. LASSC fougere has some bay in it I believe, and although a little bay seems to work well with the woody lavender, I don't care for it in the fougere. But full disclaimer, several people posted that they like LASSC fougere better. As usual, YMMV but they're not anywhere near close IMO.

Cheers, Steve

Erm, what's LASSC ?
I have tried the MdC Fougère soap (and shaving soap) and I adored it. Quite expensive though.

Erm, what's LASSC ?
I have tried the MdC Fougère soap (and shaving soap) and I adored it. Quite expensive though.

Los Angeles Shave Soap Company. Good brand that makes some high quality vegan soaps - they're a little more expensive than other artisan soap makers but I believe it's pretty worth it. Either way, it's much cheaper than MDC!

I'd say give it a shot and if you find it not to your liking, it'd be a quick sale on the BST!

Loaded heavily, I got about 4 weeks from Institut Karite. I got 10 weeks from Cade, and am about 4 weeks into a cake of Provence Sante Green Tea. Pre de Provence can reliably give 3 months.

I can claim in my experience so far with MdC Fougere and Caties Bubble LPV (both awesome BTW). I've used both about the same amount...no visible dent in the MdC.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Maybe Steve's nose is better at picking things up than mine but I have used both MdC and LASS fougeres and I find them extremely similar actually, especially in performance considering that LASS literally uses the same recipe. That's just me. That said, I kept the MdC and not the LASS mostly because of the presentation and something about the MdC is just "special" to me.

If you have MdC Fougere I'm not so sure buying LASS Fougere is really worth it. Perhaps their Bay Rum or something instead would be better to avoid redundancy.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Ha! I'll be the first to admit my nose isn't that good though I haven't said so in the "nose" thread.

I am surprised that there are widely differing opinions about whether LASSC fougere resembles MdC. Maybe there' a fragrance in it different people perceive VERY differently? Possible I suppose in the world of fragrances.

Cheers, Steve

Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what a 'French-styled' soap is.
Caties Bubbles and LASS really only use 'French styles' as nomenclature or marketing.
If, on the other hand, you refer to 'French triple milling hard soap', that's a different creature.

With respect to MdC soaps, those are uniquely cured and condensed.
I'm not aware of any other French soap-maker who replicates MdC density and scent concentration.
Creed comes close, but, again, seems to be a totally different specie.

Top Bottom