What's new

Soaps that work well with hard water.

Can you guys recommend some good soaps that lather well with hard water.
I have TOBS cream and it doesn't lather to well, would like to try a soap

I'm an almost exclusive user of TOBS and I never had a lather issue in my area (guessing my area has soft water) but when I traveled to my in laws home, I did notice lathering wasn't happening as normal, I tried less water and more cream. it lathered densely but doing a splash on my face and re-lathering between passes seemed to keep the lather consistent.

I get a super flat lather, I've been using for about a week with different ratios of water and cream, I get a decent shave but a lather that never looks even close to what I see online.

I don't know of any soaps that are specifically formulated to work with hard water. I've never had mine tested but my parents had a water softener so I know what that feel like, at least when taking a shower. You might hit a few of the soap artisan websites and/or contact them for more information. The ones to whom I've asked questions always got back to me pretty quickly. Good luck.

I get a super flat lather, I've been using for about a week with different ratios of water and cream, I get a decent shave but a lather that never looks even close to what I see online.

Yea, hard water will definitely do that especially while killing the slickness. One idea I do have for you is go a bit more "old school" and warm up some distilled water either from a brita filter or a bottle of water, or just boil water and let it go back down to room temp and use that to soak ur brush, and make your lather... its a bit of an added chore but that should definitely help

You can also add a small amount of vinegar to your sink of hot/warm water. It's a mild water softener and may help with the hard water issues. When I remember I use about half a cap full in my sink and have noticed a difference. It's a cheap and easy thing to try.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Tabac works well with hard water, if you like the scent, it's a winner!

Arko is another soap that works well in hard water.

Or you can use more soap. Hard water acts sort of like anti-soap: you need enough soap to counteract the hardness, then more soap to lather with.

Look for EDTA in the ingredients. It's a chelating agent there for the purpose of easier lather in hard water.

Also, if you want to try bottled water, use distilled water, not "spring" water, which is often hard.

My water has little rocks floating in it. I have good luck with the following:

The Strop Shoppe
RazoRock
Maggard
DR Harris
Barrister and Mann
Synergy
Cella
Tabac
Haslinger Schafmilch

Still working on getting Stirling down pat. The point is, you can use distilled water if you want, but it's ultimately not necessary. Use enough product and enough elbow grease, and you'll get a good lather no matter how hard your water is. Good luck, and stick with it!

should I just add a cap full to the bowl I soak my brush in?

Less than a cap full if you are just using a bowl. 1/4 cap full to start. Personally I don't want the smell vinegar. I'm hoping a chemist will come along and either debunk my thoughts on vinegar or confirm there might be something to it.

If you want straight suggestions for soap that lathers well in hard water, my suggestions would be:

Haslinger
Tabac
Arko
RazorRock products fair very well
As do most of the high Stearic acid artisan soaps

The suggestion to look for EDTA in the ingredients was another valuable suggestion.

Let me know if the vinegar works for you, I'm curious to hear the results.

Top Bottom