What's new

Buying used

I know some people are into buying vintage and it got me wondering what you guys buy used and where you draw the line, thanks.

I generally buy everything, new. I look for the highest quality I can afford. . That way, I'm the first owner, can maintain it in my meticulous way and I find it last longer.

Razors, cameras, vintage audio, pipes, clothes, furniture, cars. I buy just about anything but underwear and food used.

My grand mother, that I love, and, adore, bought her undergarments and shoes second-hand.

She was always talkin' bout her feet hurting..........And, she tended to, eventually, put her girdle, folded up, in her bra.....

Besides that, I don't mind buying "used".....But, it's a personal preference..........:w00t:

(Thanks to the OP for making me think of Nellie!!)

I'm all over the map as a consumer, but I get by with a ton of used stuff. I grew up hitting garage sales, estate sales, auctions, etc... with my mom.

My work clothing at my day job typically comes from Good Will. I like nice clothing but it is all bought 2nd hand. Meanwhile my weekend 'play clothes' are sometimes super expensive. Expensive jeans, boots, coats, etc...

As for where I draw the line? No used HBA (tooth paste, shampoo, soap, etc) and on the clothing front I wouldn't buy used underware or swim trunks, or socks.

I don't get skeeved out buying used clothing like some people though. I guarantee the American life the used clothing had was nothing as bad as the conditions present at the point of origin in Bangledesh or China.

I'm a tight wad and spent my younger years chasing high quality in used (well used) utilitarian things. I'd been a forever owner of Volvo 240 cars, used clothing, military surplus, you name it. Now that I'm older, I buy pretty much specifically the things I REALLY want, regardless of price. Because in the long run my happiness is up and my consumption (physical and dollars) is down.

How many times have you seen something nice you want, but know you shouldn't 'waste' money on only to buy a crappier, lesser item to fill that void in your soul. Say you want a Leica MP film camera but it costs 3000 dollars and makes no sense for you to own, so you buy a Japanese Voigtlander rangefinder camera to try to fill that hole. Then over time you sell it and buy another, and buy lenses that are affordable. Over the course of three years you end up spending 7000 dollars on stuff that was meant to fill that space of something that cost maybe 5000 if you would have just bought what you wanted up front.

Life is short enough that my personal beliefs are to pamper yourself with a few items to keep you truly happy. I don't live my life on a Dave Ramsey type plan and I also don't make enough money to live a life of luxury. Most people at a passing glance feel like I'm kind of a snob or that I'm rich. I just have ended up treating myself to nice clothes and every day carry crap because like I said above, it has saved me money when I used to chase bargains and deals.

It makes little sense, but it's true for me. Meanwhile if you see me in khakis, a dress shirt, and tie, chances are it came from Good Will because my work clothes don't give me that much satisfaction personally during the work week. However, my jeans probably cost more than 150 dollars if you see me on a Saturday.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
In most cases I buy used items if they aren't available anymore and are unique or of historical value. When you're collecting different stuff you buy second hand a lot. But I won't buy second-hand clothes and things like that. Yes, there is some chance the previous owner forgot money in some pocket, but I am never lucky.

I used to go shopping at a store that either sold factory seconds, customer returns or who knows, but they had designer underwear in my size. The elastic was still good and the price was right so I bought them.
Once at goodwill I bought some $30 bluejeans for $4. They looked practically unworn, I am betting someones mom bought them for their kid and never got worn.
I also got my "proud to be awesome" shirt at good will for a couple bucks as well.

Top Bottom