What's new

MB 149 I over ground the nibs

I have 3 149's with severely over polished nibs. Yes, I did it. The tipping,(iridium?) is about half removed on each. Can these be retipped and ground by Motishaw or other back to original or better than? I am sick about this and would like to get these back in working order. I know MB will swap nibs for $275 ea, but holy cats that's high.

I have 3 149's with severely over polished nibs. Yes, I did it. The tipping,(iridium?) is about half removed on each. Can these be retipped and ground by Motishaw or other back to original or better than? I am sick about this and would like to get these back in working order. I know MB will swap nibs for $275 ea, but holy cats that's high.
My only experience with John Mottishaw was a very good one. I had a modern Pelikan pen that skipped like crazy. I sent it in to him and it is now it writes in an excellent fashion. I don't recall exactly what he did, but it was more than just your average tuning. It seems to me that he had to readjust the nib to sit more flush with the feed and did some grinding on the nib as well. I recall being reluctant to send the pen in because the advertised turn around time was about 6 months. I had the pen back in 3.

I wouldn't hesitate to at least let him try his hand at one of the 3 MB's you have...It may cost you a C note or more, but I think it will be cheaper than buying one from MB for $275.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Best guy for that job will be Greg Minuskin who used to work with Mottishaw. Retipping is his main business. It's not all that cheap ($60-75) because he welds the new iridium/ruthenium pellet (rare and hard metals) and then has to regrind it.

I hope others can learn from this. I'm sure you did. :ohmy:

http://gregminuskin.com/

OMG you ground the nibs on a 149! That's like taking the engine apart on a Ferrari and grinding the heads to see if you could get more power. Leave well enough alone! Personally I would pay MB for new nibs.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I just sent a new (but sitting in someone's drawer) vintage Pelikan M600 B to Mike-it-Work so Michael could turn it into a stub. I've had him work on two other Pelikans and they come back in a most pleasing manner. I think you can't go wrong sending the pens to a nib master. It's too bad things went sideways on you and it will cost more than usual, but you will love the way they work. You may even be so happy you'll be glad you were forced into finding a nib master. Thinking good thoughts.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I just sent a new (but sitting in someone's drawer) vintage Pelikan M600 B to Mike-it-Work so Michael could turn it into a stub.
Re-grinding vintage Pelikan gold nibs?? Someone call the authorities! :ohmy:

strop

Now half as wise
Greg retipped a Parker Big Red that was completely missing the iridium from one tine. Now a great writer.

I would probably just bite the bullet and get new ones from MB. If you ever send it in for other repair/service they may not work on it.

Best guy for that job will be Greg Minuskin who used to work with Mottishaw. Retipping is his main business. It's not all that cheap ($60-75) because he welds the new iridium/ruthenium pellet (rare and hard metals) and then has to regrind it.

I hope others can learn from this. I'm sure you did. :ohmy:

http://gregminuskin.com/

+1 to this.

Greg retipped a Parker Big Red that was completely missing the iridium from one tine. Now a great writer.

I would probably just bite the bullet and get new ones from MB. If you ever send it in for other repair/service they may not work on it.

Is MB really that ridiculous? Retipping would void the warranty for work on the rest of the pen? If so, I would pay Greg to retip the pens and replace the MBs with another brand if they ever suffered a catastrophic failure.

-Andy

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Is MB really that ridiculous? Retipping would void the warranty for work on the rest of the pen? If so, I would pay Greg to retip the pens and replace the MBs with another brand if they ever suffered a catastrophic failure.

Yes, that is correct ... they can even tell if the nib and feed have been removed because of a special sealant used. So then you'll just need to pay someone else to repair it if there ever is a problem. Not too ridiculous.

I can understand their philosophy, they don't want to replace an expensive cracked section and barrel because some unauthorized person was fiddling around in there. It makes sense.

I cringe to think how much a new nib would cost. :001_rolle

Yes, that is correct ... they can even tell if the nib and feed have been removed because of a special sealant used. So then you'll just need to pay someone else to repair it if there ever is a problem. Not too ridiculous.

I can understand their philosophy, they don't want to replace an expensive cracked section and barrel because some unauthorized person was fiddling around in there. It makes sense.

I cringe to think how much a new nib would cost. :001_rolle

That makes sense, but wow is that some spendy hardware!

-Andy

-Andy
I'm pretty sure many brands are like that. I know Pelikan's warranty is voided if the pen is "manipulated by a 3rd party."

Top Bottom