What's new

What's your shave prep regiment?

I find time and time again that its always been great source of knowledge gaining and assistance to know what others do/or can suggest that would be greatly beneficial to others. So with that in mind, my quest today is to learn what many others do for their Shave Prep regiments.

Here's mine:

1. Wash face in shower with gentle facial scrub (Aveeno Positively radiant face scrub).
2. I prep my face and neck with a pre-shave oil. (AOS sandalwood or TOBS)
3. I choose not to bowl lather. It's just my personal preference to -face lather- cause I have this odd theory that as you brush the lather onto your face and it begins to dense, it will more evenly coat the around and lift the hairs.
4. I warm my razor head in the same bowl I soaked my brush in with hot water. (not hot to where its burning to the touch but hot enough to wear the razor has a slight heat to it).

That's my personal Shave prep regiment. Hopefully to some of you out there whether you are new to traditional shaving or just seeking to try a new idea, I hop this may be helpful.

List below your regiments and lets see if we can help each other get better shaves.

Last edited:
A shower and either a pre shave oil or a pre shave cream. The only oil I've used is AoS. I've used Proraso cream and right now am using 3P, which I like a lot.

A shower and either a pre shave oil or a pre shave cream. The only oil I've used is AoS. I've used Proraso cream and right now am using 3P, which I like a lot.

I've actually never used a pre shave cream.. how would you say it favors against the oil?

I like using the cream better as it assimilates better with the lather. The Proraso softens the skin. I did try Noxema and it did a good job but for me the scent is too overpowering.

I like using the cream better as it assimilates better with the lather. The Proraso softens the skin. I did try Noxema and it did a good job but for me the scent is too overpowering.

That's an interesting one. I've never known anyone to use Noxema for shaving. kudos for the individuality

I've actually never used a pre shave cream.. how would you say it favors against the oil?
They are different paths to the same end, which is a comfortable shave. IMO the oil is more of a cushion, though it does treat the whiskers. The cream is more of a treatment/softener of the whiskers. To be honest it's your personal preference. I use and like both. If I had to choose one, I'd probably use my 3P cream. I really like that product.

Rub Noxzema into beard. Shower and let the Noxzema soften the facial hair. At the end of the shower, wash out all of it, then get out of the shower and start face lathering.

There seems to be a recent trend in topics around Noxzema the past month or so. I've been using it like this since I started wet shaving and it's always done a great job of softening the whiskers.

Hot shower with conditioner to my whiskers after that it's Proraso Pre shave cream or Razorock pro shave lube.

Shower: Ivory Soap & Dove on the face:
RazoRock Pre-Shave Gylcerine Bar, rub it on and wet scrub on face.
Shave Lather first pass right over pre-shave suds on face.

I find it makes for a very slick first pass regardless of what shave soap I use.

I usually take a shower first, or I wash my face with a gentle soap.
Then I face lather, and I let the lather sit for one or two minutes. After that time, I add a bit of hot water to the lather again, to make it slick and warm.
I re-lather between passes, but do not rinse my face until the last pass.

--Hot shower. Wash my face with whatever soap I am using. Shampoo, including my whiskers. I read somewhere (here?) that this double-washing was best for beard prep: number one wash removes skin oils and grime; number two wash softens.
--pre-shave cream. Usually Tcheon Fung Sing Bergamotto Neroli, or Trumper Coral Skin Food. I let it sit while I build my lather.
--I bowl-lather; every shave is different, and I get much more control over over my lather in the bowl. But I don't paint it on. I use my brush to really scrub the lather in. Best of both worlds.
--Razor warmed along with bowl and brush while I showered.

Rub Noxzema into beard. Shower and let the Noxzema soften the facial hair. At the end of the shower, wash out all of it, then get out of the shower and start face lathering.

There seems to be a recent trend in topics around Noxzema the past month or so. I've been using it like this since I started wet shaving and it's always done a great job of softening the whiskers.

That's an interesting Idea, I might give it a try. It honestly never occurred to me to use Noxema in such a way. I've only ever used it for rubbing on sunburns like my mother used too.

Shower: Ivory Soap & Dove on the face:
RazoRock Pre-Shave Gylcerine Bar, rub it on and wet scrub on face.
Shave Lather first pass right over pre-shave suds on face.

I find it makes for a very slick first pass regardless of what shave soap I use.

Thats another great idea, personally I cant use regular body soaps on my face, but thats an interesting way to go since as you say it adds great slick regardless of product. great idea for products which have very little slick left behind

I usually take a shower first, or I wash my face with a gentle soap.
Then I face lather, and I let the lather sit for one or two minutes. After that time, I add a bit of hot water to the lather again, to make it slick and warm.
I re-lather between passes, but do not rinse my face until the last pass.

Gotta give this a try on those weeks where I get more than 4-5 or more days of growth. seems like a legit idea to soften and get rid of the longer whiskers

--Hot shower. Wash my face with whatever soap I am using. Shampoo, including my whiskers. I read somewhere (here?) that this double-washing was best for beard prep: number one wash removes skin oils and grime; number two wash softens.
--pre-shave cream. Usually Tcheon Fung Sing Bergamotto Neroli, or Trumper Coral Skin Food. I let it sit while I build my lather.
--I bowl-lather; every shave is different, and I get much more control over over my lather in the bowl. But I don't paint it on. I use my brush to really scrub the lather in. Best of both worlds.
--Razor warmed along with bowl and brush while I showered.

I like that you gave a list of products. I've never heard of Tcheon Fung Sing or trumper coral skin food, definitely going to look those up!

I like that you gave a list of products. I've never heard of Tcheon Fung Sing or trumper coral skin food, definitely going to look those up!

Tcheon Fung Sing is in Europe what Razorock seems to be in the USA (less the silly Razorock names) ... their products are very popular since a few years.

I never tried the preshave, but I have several TFS soaps, and I love each of them.

Top Bottom