What's new

What's your shave prep regiment?

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I leave my face wet after rinsing, then apply lather. One thing I ALWAYS do is rinse between passes; I read a post where the OP wondered where those "little black things" on his soap came from when he reloaded and re-lathered. I don't have that problem.

I feel like I must have super sensitive facial skin or something cause I cannot use a body soap on my face. In the past, body soaps on my face left me with dry peely spots
My skin is very oily. I need the Irish Spring to strip the oils from my beard so that the water and lather will hydrate it well. At least that's the theory I'm subbing to.
I follow the shave with an alcohol splash with no problems. It is the same routine I have used since the seventies,

Last edited:
Prior to showering I wet a washcloth, put it in the microwave for 1min. I have a 20oz coffee thermos that I put my hot washcloth in so it will keep warm will I'm showering.

technique is: Hot shower, wash face with olive oil shave cube. when I lather up with shave cube I lather by hand and I leave the soap on. Then I do the kyle's prep with the warm washcloth out of the thermos. I leave it on for about 1min. then I lather up and shave. My hair comes off like a knife through hot butter. No irritation after I know because I use alum block, and no burn whatsoever.

Soak brush in hot water while I shower
Exfoliate face/neck with Baxter of California Exfoliating Wash and combine it with Lucky Tiger face wash
Apply 3P and leave it on all the way until I get out of the shower and am about to face lather then I rinse it off with warm water
Apply thin layer of Noxzema
Face lather for WTG pass
Rinse with warm water, reapply thin layer of Noxzema, relather for XTG pass
Rinse with warm water, reapply thin layer of Noxzema, relather for ATG pass

Hot shower with Maja soap, then hot water splash, soap or creme either bowl of face later (I mix it up) then have at it.

Soak brush in hot water while I shower
Exfoliate face/neck with Baxter of California Exfoliating Wash and combine it with Lucky Tiger face wash
Apply 3P and leave it on all the way until I get out of the shower and am about to face lather then I rinse it off with warm water
Apply thin layer of Noxzema
Face lather for WTG pass
Rinse with warm water, reapply thin layer of Noxzema, relather for XTG pass
Rinse with warm water, reapply thin layer of Noxzema, relather for ATG pass

Hearing so much about Noxema helping in shaving lately.. I'm about to go over to CVS and get me some.

Hot show and I wash my face with what ever I got in the shower. I get out and leave my face damp, apply Noxzema then shake out my brush and get to building lather with either ARKO or ARKO with CO Bigelow Shaving cream for uber lather.
Shave with my Razor and blade of the week, Here lately it been a Derby in my KRONA and I do 2 full passes then I do some touch up on my neck and jaw line. I apply some witch hazel then AFTA balm , finish with deodorant and gold bond and get dressed. Then I put on my AS or Cologne.

Hearing so much about Noxema helping in shaving lately.. I'm about to go over to CVS and get me some.
Noxzema has really been a game-changer for me. Now I will forewarn you that it does have a bit of an ammonia scent which can mask your cream a little bit BUT for me, I can take a little ammonia scent for the added slickness and performance that Noxzema gives me. By the way, be sure and get the Classic Clean Noxzema...not the one with Extra Moisture. I found the Classic to do a better job.

Noxzema has really been a game-changer for me. Now I will forewarn you that it does have a bit of an ammonia scent which can mask your cream a little bit BUT for me, I can take a little ammonia scent for the added slickness and performance that Noxzema gives me. By the way, be sure and get the Classic Clean Noxzema...not the one with Extra Moisture. I found the Classic to do a better job.

Amazing that I've been vintage shaving for almost 8 months and have never known or seen any thing on Noxema in shaving until I joined B&B

Hot shower and wash face with Neutrogena Invigorating Face Wash or Nivea Men's Face Wash for Sensitive Skin
I also use a conditioner if I have skipped a day or two of shaving. I prefer bowl lather.

I have thought about adding a pre glycerin soap such as the Musgo Real Glyce Lime (soap up my face then add lather) but I am not experiencing any issues where I feel I have to try something else.

Hot shower and wash face with Neutrogena Invigorating Face Wash or Nivea Men's Face Wash for Sensitive Skin
I also use a conditioner if I have skipped a day or two of shaving. I prefer bowl lather.

I have thought about adding a pre glycerin soap such as the Musgo Real Glyce Lime (soap up my face then add lather) but I am not experiencing any issues where I feel I have to try something else.

Razorock makes a pre shave soap I've been meaning to try after seeing a review of it online

I tried the Nozema prep that many of you awesome gents here on B&B recommended. I can only say one this.. IT WAS EXCELLENT! :thumbup:

I'm a big fan of shower lather hot towel lather shave

I have never done a self hot towel shave but I always loved getting one from my barber. Im waiting to get a bigger place so I can get a towel warmer, just so I don't over step my wife's bathroom space, shes already making threats if I keep growing my shave den lol

Mine is simple too. If my face is work dirty, a quick wash. Then a bit of water then conditioner and leave on. Hop on to the forum for a few minutes or whatever needs done, then shave after the conditioner has done its thing. It works for me.

Top Bottom