What's new

Grandfather friendly scents that keep my dignity and I don't smell like a millennial

I had posted a thread in the shaving soap forum requesting traditional Grandfather scented shaving soaps. Got many great suggestions two of which were Rose and Bay rum. Both worthy grandfather qualified scents.

I have found some products that probably qualify for this forum that you may be aware of, but for new people they may be interested in. I'm retired and only shave about every 3 days. What I use most times, in lieu of aftershave, is "Thayers Rose Pedal scented Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera". Its an alcohol-free toner that doesn't sting, stops small weepers and makes your skin feel good. Its really great stuff, give it try. Second suggestion was Bay Rum. About 3/4 years ago some shaving forum asked for Bay Rum suggestions. As you can guess there were many opinions as to the champion Bay Rum. One guy suggested an alternative to Bay Rum and that was "Superior 70 Bay Rum which in reality nothing more than distilled Bay Leaves or Bay Rum leaves whatever they are called. Nothing else is added unless you count 65% alcohol. The beauty of this if you don't like the Bay Rum you can always drink it. It distilled in Ponce, Puerto Rico so its the real thing. If that not enough you can buy it in Walgreens for, if I remember. $3/4.

I wish everbody with well shorne hair follicles A Merry Chistmas and Happy holidays!

I put a few drops of some very old Old Spice into my unscented lather as I am building it.

It smells grandfatherly to me. But I do not have an educated nose.

Mickey

You may want to post in the soaps/creams fora. Soap and anything else you mentioned really have no staying power. I would recommend anything from the three T's, Trumper, TOBS and Truefitt and Hill. I would call the scents 'traditional.' As for fragrances, I love Guerlain. They are classic and refined. Try Heritage. Lovely scent. Good luck!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Try the Floris scents, they'll send generous samples for postage. Try 89, Elite, No 127 and especially Palm Springs for a classic older gentleman's scent.

Cheers, Steve

Grandfather = Brut & Old Spice. My grandfather wore them as did my father. Classics. Affordable. Available.

Grandfather with distinction = Rive Gauche & Guerlain Vetiver aftershave. I'm not yet a grandfather, but I wear both.

Catie's Bubbles LTV is a dead ringer for Rive Gauche and QCV matches very well with Guerlain's Vetiver.

At the risk of everyone all at once asking for samples... I don't see anything on their site about this. Have you done it?
Don't know about Steve56, but I have emailed Floris asking to sample some specific fragrances, and they have sent them gratis. I didn't overdo it, just expressed interested in about two, as I recall.

I really enjoy the classic scents as well. One of my favorites at the moment is Truefitt and Hill Spanish Leather.

As a grandfather, I'm totally comfortable enjoying Rose scents!
Warm, rich, classic.
As a younger man, I would NEVER had ventured to use a floral.
But this stage in life gives me the confidence and appreciation of things other than citrus and barbershop and deodorant!
For sure, No Millennial today would ever be caught dead wearing this kind of frag!!

$cyril salter rose shavemac gillette slim roberts czech speake 88 december 19 2014.jpg

Now that I have been a grandfather for more than a month, I find that my attitudes about scents haven't changed except perhaps I'm open to new scents, checking out the range of the three Ts.

Of course, I may go back to my obstinate preference for unscented everything.

Haha, awesome thread title.

No idea what to tell you. I found some cool water at tjmaxx, it smells a lot like green Irish tweed and is way cheaper. that gets my vote....but it might be 'too young' for what you want.

Top Bottom