What's new

my first stright shave

My first razor came in the mail this evening .after fondling it for a few minutes i thought it was time.took a quick shower.had my supplies out,mwf was my soap of choice,made some lather with my whipped dog silver tip and started at my side burns.i started lower than i would like on my sideburns cuz it was a lil hard to see but i placed the spine first on my face. Then the whole blade.lifted the spine up just a lil and down my face it went.no blood no pain just the familiar sound of hair being cut.sweet!! Switched hands and tried the other side.it felt very odd but ok.was planning on stopping there but moved on to my chin then my neck too.i did two super slow wtg passes! Only had 3 tiny weepers.im liking this.nowere near bbs but im removing hair so im happy.now my strop needs to get here (should be here Monday) so i can move on to shave 2.again thanks to everyone here.you guy property prepared me,my face thanks you too

Eric

My first razor came in the mail this evening .after fondling it for a few minutes i thought it was time.took a quick shower.had my supplies out,mwf was my soap of choice,made some lather with my whipped dog silver tip and started at my side burns.i started lower than i would like on my sideburns cuz it was a lil hard to see but i placed the spine first on my face. Then the whole blade.lifted the spine up just a lil and down my face it went.no blood no pain just the familiar sound of hair being cut.sweet!! Switched hands and tried the other side.it felt very odd but ok.was planning on stopping there but moved on to my chin then my neck too.i did two super slow wtg passes! Only had 3 tiny weepers.im liking this.nowere near bbs but im removing hair so im happy.now my strop needs to get here (should be here Monday) so i can move on to shave 2.again thanks to everyone here.you guy property prepared me,my face thanks you too

Eric
Super job. I will second what Frank says regarding the weak hand. I am still no good at it, I am very slow with it, but I am forcing myself to use it. I just think that I would be much further along if I had two dominant hands. But the only way to get two dominant hands is to use the non - dominant hand for these tasks.

Keep training your left hand to shave, it will pay off later. I found that I shave better with my left hand now than I do with my more dominant right hand.

Frank

+1 It can help to always start with you off hand. I found I had fewer mistakes with my left because I was more cautious. The dominant hand can get out of hand quickly. Also any techniques you learn with your off hand will come easily to your dominant hand. Not so much in the reverse.

Last edited:
+1 It can help to always start with you off hand. I found I had fewer mistakes with my left because I was more cautious. The dominant hand can get out of hand quickly. Also any techniques you learn with your off hand will come easily to your dominant hand. Not so much in the reverse.
I'm gonna have to try this!

Shave #2 went well,tried atg this time.got a small nic by my ear and one on under my jaw from still trying to make my left do what its sapose to do.all in all im enjoying it.quick question what kind of oil do you guys us on the pin?dose it matter?
Here a pic of my set up tooView attachment 526882

quick question what kind of oil do you guys us on the pin?dose it matter?

When I am done I rinse the blade and wipe it dry, I always try to keep the scales/pins dry during shaving I take my time rinsing the blade and wiping between passes. When done and dry I do a 20/30 post strop on the linen & leather then just lightly coat the entire blade with mineral oil.

Top Bottom