What's new

Traveling camera - A Darkroom pass around

So I'm thinking it might be fun to take a small auto exposure 35mm film rangefinder camera and gather a list of names and do a pass around. Each person shoots one roll of film (24 or 36 frame), posts some or all of the images in a thread here. I have a couple Konica C35's that are small enough to easily fit into a flat rate box and I wouldn't mind sending one around. I will be happy to include a roll of film for the next person, but that would be a personal choice for each person.

This thread is just for gathering interest and the camera is not ready yet as it needs new light seals and a test roll run through it. Also, each person will be responsible for having their roll developed. An easy and cheap way is to just have negatives developed and a CD. Prints are what up the price. I pay about $7 for this from a pro lab, but I think Costco still does it as well as other places like that.

Any interest in this?

Thats a really cool idea.

I've seen something similar on APUG. I think they send around a camera with a roll of film, and everyone involved just takes 1 picture. Then one person agrees to develop the roll and share the pictures online with the group.

I think that would be a pretty neat idea. I can seldom commit to shooting an entire 24 exp roll of film. Depending on when this goes down, and if we only do 1 roll, I could develop and scan at the end if its B&W.

Last edited:
Edcculus, that's another good idea. I could load up a roll of HP5+ and pass it around. The lens on these are quite contrasty and sharp. The latitude of HP5+ is also wide enough to allow some mistakes.

I also see an issue where people like the camera and want to spend more time with it for the cost of shipping. Either way, this thread is here to iron out the details and drum up interest.

Maybe we could just limit it to two weeks per person and if they shoot only a partial roll fine, pass it along. If they shoot 5 rolls, that's cool too. Just be sure the camera has film when it gets to the next person.

For those not familiar, these are very small cameras! Quite easy to throw into a jacket pocket or bag, unobtrusive for street shooting. 28mm lens I feel is a good midway between the standard 35mm for street and those who like a wider field of view.

This particular one is missing a lens element, but it's what was handy and sitting on my desk.

proxy.php

Thats true. I guess it depends on whether the point of the camera pass would be for someone to have the opportunity to tryout a unique camera they dont own, or if we are just trying to get a bunch of fun shots on the same camera/film from a bunch of people.

1-2 shots would definitely be restricting to someone who wanted to explore the camera.

What do you think average shipping on this would be?

Parcel post would likely be about $5 and flat rate for a small is $5.80 I think. Not a huge expense.

I will make sure I get some sort of protective gear for it to be safely shipped, I'll include extra batteries and a cheap lens sleeve.

Once we get the details worked out, I'll get the shipping thing dialed in and as easy as possible.

Sounds cool! I'll follow the thread but I won't volunteer as I have cameras with half rolls of film from years ago sitting around. I've become very lazy.. The iphone ruined me :(

I have an Olympus 35RC which is a similar camera. As simple as it is, you can really take nice photos with it!

Been thinking more about this and Edcculus has a great point, "what is the purpose of this?" I think it would be fun to get some snapshots from the same camera/lens from many different places and styles. More of a collective around a limited tool. This camera is auto exposure only and a fixed lens. So it's the same for everyone.

Another would also be for some people who have never used a rangefinder camera before and might be interested in picking one up.

But, the fun factor is not to be over looked as well!

Well seems the little c35 I was intending to ship around has developed quite the temperament with its shutter. It's as stubborn as a 3 year old child. Kinda works when it wants to, but not all the time. I have another one that is not a true rangefinder but is scale focus. Would people be interested in using a scale focus camera for this? Loaded with 400 iso film should get you small enough apertures to yield acceptable sharpness if you misjudged distance a bit. I have seen many photos with this scale focus model that are tack sharp and quite good.

I am still trying to figure out the issue with the camera and get it working reliably though.

I like the idea. I would be a fan of the shooting an entire roll through it idea over the one shot idea. It would give the person a chance to play with it a little more. Plus, for someone like me that uses my digital screen as my light meter :blushing:, there is that chance that one shot won't turn out as planned.
I would really like to be in on it, but unfortunately I have been so busy I wouldn't have time to shoot a roll through it. I think I have had a total of 6 days off in the last 3 months. I haven't even gotten a chance to shoot my new razors.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You would probably want to add insurance just in case something happens in transit. What is something like that valued at?

These little cameras can be had for $20 in working condition with a bit of looking around. On the popular auction sites they go for up to $50+ depending on model. A light seal kit is $10. So it's not like it's a terribly valuable camera, just a good little one.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
These little cameras can be had for $20 in working condition with a bit of looking around. On the popular auction sites they go for up to $50+ depending on model. A light seal kit is $10. So it's not like it's a terribly valuable camera, just a good little one.

Cool- now to see if I can get some film and maybe throw my hat in.

Though I would not participate, I think this is a fun idea. I actually like the one shot idea, perhaps selecting a general theme, but I can see how this might be an issue, especially for those that may not have much experience with film cameras outside of point and shoot. Very neat idea!

Top Bottom