What's new

Cool Pen Repair Video

This is pretty cool. This guy restores a vintage pen to full working order.

Last edited by a moderator:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That's quite a job, thanks for sharing. To me, the piston seemed a little tight -- remember it will expand a bit, plus he didn't use any lube that I saw. For me, I always impregnate the cork with hot paraffin wax to repel the ink and facilitate the sliding movement. A bit of silicone grease during assembly helps too.

The part when he was removing the section was nerve-racking, that pen is at least a $2000 pen (an L139 would be twice that) and it wasn't actually necessary to remove the threaded section and risk damaging that brittle barrel. But he pulled it off, good show!

I've seen the whole series that this vid comes from, loved them all. I love seeing nibmeisters at work. The one video with the guy re-tipping nibs with iridium was probably the most interesting of the bunch.

But at the same time, most of the men featured are pretty old, and this drives home the point that the fountain pen is something that will vanish into the past unless people like this are training apprentices, and people like us carry on the art of writing with ink.

That said, I want to visit Japan so badly after watching these! :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom