What's new

Carbon steel pans: De Buyer v. Vollrath

Just picked up a couple of De Buyer force blue 20cm/8in crepe pans for under £6/$10 each. They seem to be on sale on Amazon UK at the moment

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Found these De Buyer Mineral B pans today.... good price... been meaning to try out a carbon steel pan... so, of course I had to buy a couple. *okay, it was three :001_rolle ..... I'm blaming you, Vlad. :nono:
proxy.php

I know it's not really your fault... You're actually quite innocent this time. But I shall blame it on you just the same. :lol:

Found these De Buyer Mineral B pans today.... good price... been meaning to try out a carbon steel pan... so, of course I had to buy a couple. *okay, it was three :001_rolle ..... I'm blaming you, Vlad. :nono:
proxy.php

I know it's not really your fault... You're actually quite innocent this time. But I shall blame it on you just the same. :lol:
[emoji106]

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Sexy design, but I'd be worried that my money is going to aesthetics rather than quality build. I like the rivets of De Buyer.

I have my Alessi for almost a quarter century. I think I paid $90 for it in 1990.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
proxy.php

The eiffel tower handle looks nice Connie.

Intrigued

The eiffel tower handle looks nice Connie.

When I first saw that handle, I wasn't sure about it. After doing some homework on it, I decided it was worth a shot. The handle is cast stainless steel which should help them stay cooler in use. The handle looks to be a little shorter then the standard Mineral B handle and from what I read is actually really comfortable. I found a site to order them from that had them for less money then the regular Mineral B pans. The price for all three shipped was just over the price of the larger Alessi pan that Ouch posted a link to. Seemed like a win, win. Now I'll have to wait and see how well I like them when they get here.

ouch

Carbon pans are still a terrific bargain, but years ago the prices were ridiculous. My little blini pan was six bucks, and I think my 240mm pan set me back all of twelve. Stores would literally keep them on the bottom shelf in an unfashionable back corner, tucked under other items they couldn't move. My $8 crepe pan will probably last another hundred years.

So far I'm really happy with the Vollrath pans. The seasoning is looking good, and they're very easy to handle. Speaking of handling, the handle on 12.5 inch pan is really long. It doesn't have a helper handle, so I understand why they made it so long, but I'm probably going to have to shorten it.

The light gauge has not been a problem. If I needed to sear a big steak, I would use one of my De Buyer pans, since it would be less affected by the relatively cold steak. Otherwise, the Vollrath holds temperature just fine for other cookery, and I actually like that it responds more quickly to temperature adjustments.

proxy.php

ouch

My test for a well seasoned pan is my potato and egg omelet. I mandolin potatoes very thin, and layer them in a pan of butter and olive oil in a spiral, completely covering the bottom. I should look a little like this, although this is a pic of apples only partially covering a cast iron pan.

$12276952456_c15ede7cc2_c.jpg

After frying for three or four minutes, you have to flip the entire mass in one shot. A few minutes later, you flip again, add whisked eggs, cook a bit, then flip once more and finish. It takes a really non stick pan to pull it off.

Mother in law needs some new pans...but she has a glass top stove. I don't think it will be a problem, just want to see if youse guys have any experience with it.

Intrigued

Mother in law needs some new pans...but she has a glass top stove. I don't think it will be a problem, just want to see if youse guys have any experience with it.

It shouldn't be a problem. I have a glass top stove and I use my cast iron pans on it. I just made sure when I bought vintage CI pans that the bottom were not warped and that they weren't the type made with a fire ring on the bottom.

Fire ring (raised ring)
proxy.php

I'm having a serious issue with the Vollrath pans. The seasoning flakes off.

My method for seasoning is stovetop, not in the oven. But it's the same process I used on DeBuyer, and they give me no problems at all. Now one of the Vollrath pans is starting to rust.

I really can't figure it out--the surface should be exactly the same, presumably. But they won't hold the seasoning.

That sounds terrible Vlad. I wish I had some good suggestions or knew what corrective action you need to take. Maybe try removing all the seasoning and starting from scratch?

That sounds terrible Vlad. I wish I had some good suggestions or knew what corrective action you need to take. Maybe try removing all the seasoning and starting from scratch?
I had to remove the seasoning off one of my DeBuyer pans as it was flaking. Looking online, it sounded like I either didn't heat the seasoning on high enough heat or it was too thick or a combination of both.

It got stripped down with a scouring pad, scraper and a salt scrub and seasoned it through natural use the next time....no issues the second time around.

ouch

Sometimes it takes a couple (or more) go arounds to get your pan just right. The rule of thumb for carbon and cast iron pans is pretty much this-
use them all the time = great
use them infrequently = more issues

speaking from experience if you want to remove the seasoning.... Have your wife make a dish that involves boiling a good amount of balsamic vinegar in your pan. Strips it right off!

Top Bottom