What's new

Looking to try a whiskey. suggestions?

Howdy gents...

I've been a beer drinker for a good long while.. I enjoy tequila as well, Gin & Tonic, cocktails... etc..

however, I've never found a Whiskey or Bourbon that I enjoy, about the only one that comes to mind is Southern Comfort for sipping...

I am looking to try something smooth that doesn't make me twitch like I'm sampling paint thinner...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you enjoy Southern Comfort, you have already been drinking paint thinner and just don't know it. :001_smile

For a scotch that is nice and smooth to sip on (some critics say TOO smooth to the point of blandness), Chivas Regal is very nice. Try it with an ice cube or two and see if you don't like it.

For a nice smooth sipping bourbon, Maker's Mark always struck me as being smooth. Again, try it first with an ice cube or two and see how it suits you.

Another decent sipping whiskey that is widely available is Crown Royal. Again, an ice cube or two is a nice way to try this one the first time.

Irish whiskey is easy drinking. You might try Bushmills Original or Tullamore Dew.

Amerian whiskey? Maker's Mark or Bulleit Bourbon would be a good starting point.

Scotch whisky? Maybe a mid-level blend would be a good introduction, say Johnny Walker Black Label.

Good luck on your journey.

For an introduction:
Bourbon: Woodford Reserve or Makers Mark
General Whisky: Canadian Club or JW Black
Scotch: balvenie double wood. Dalwhinne or Glenfiddich 12 year

Try Rye - similar to bourbon, but not as sweet. Base spirit for the classic Manhattan.

Bullitt, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Templeton, many more.

Pretty good suggestions, though I'm not a fan of MM. I find it too buttery. It is, however, very smooth. I will say that you should try them "neat" first. Just a sip. If you don't find it to your liking, a splash of room temperature water. If that doesn't work, drop in an ice cube.

I'm a fan of George Dickel 12. It can be found pretty cheap, and has a pretty good flavor to me. My favorite (so far, I'm not far along my journey) has been Eagle Rare. And I'm not a fan of Buffalo Trace either.

Irish: Jameson

Tennessee: Jack Daniels (good on its own, but this is my "go to" mixer")

Scotch:
  • Inexpensive blend; Dewars white label
  • Single malt (balanced peat): Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr
  • Single malt (heavy peat): Lagavulin or Laphroaig (either = pure awesomeness)

Bourbon:
  • Woodford Reserve (try Woodford Double Oaked if you favor scotch)
  • Four Roses Single Barrel

Sweet stuff: Jack Daniels Honey

I would highly recommend Pendleton. Its about $25 and is very smooth. I find it smoother than higher alc content spirits. Its not the best, but at $25 its well worth the money. Its something you won't mind pulling out with friends. i find the taste is very simlar to Crown Special Reserve.

Thanks Gents..

I forgot about the Wild Turkey... been a long time since I've had "the bird"...

My father in-law and I enjoyed almost an entire 5th of Turkey 101 by ourselves in a night a number of years back... that was a rough next morning... but it didn't scare me off it... might have to try Turkey again, for sipping

You wouldn't go wrong with Highland Park 12yr if you wanted to try a Single Malt Scotch that won't break the bank or insult your taste buds.

Makers Mark is available pretty much everywhere. Its a safe and reasonably priced place to start with Bourbon.

Elijah Craig 12 yr. old and Larceny are excellent bourbons at the price point (about $25) IMHO. If your budget will allow the Jim Beam Signature Craft is superb. SWMBO likes Balvenie Doublewood as a single malt scotch. All enjoyed with one large cube of ice or neat.

Sipping on Crown at the moment. Very smooth drink.
If you want to try an inexpensive single malt scotch, I find McClelland's to be a great buy for around $20.
Discovered JD Tennessee Honey a few weeks ago (had to jump on a deal with a free 6oz SS flask). Found it nice. If sweet is what you want it'd be worth a try.

Old Grand Dad. My wife who can't stand whiskey likes it (and so do I) .

I decided to give the Old Grand Dad a go, picked up a bottle earlier, plan on having a sample when I get home tonight ... gotta love second shift...

Thank you for the suggestions Gents, I'll do a bit of sampling and see suits my fancy, but you all have given me some starting points.

Last edited:
Knob Creek was the first that I truly liked. It took a few drinks of it before the taste for it developed. My liquor supply was pathetic but I had a bottle of Captain around at the same time. Once my taste kicked in for Knob Creek, Captain tasted harsh in comparison.

Let me know how Old Grand Dad is. Its been a long while since I bought a bottle of whiskey so my taste for it has weakened.

Top Bottom