What's new

Longest use

My "egg sandwich" cast iron fry pan. Gets used weekly for eggs, burgers etc, small ?6? inch cast iron that my mom bought when my parents got married back in the early 70's. It was a gift to me when I got my first apartment.

After that I could mention my Savage 30/30 octagon which had a build date of 1902, it was used continuously until I received it in 2002 and retired it. The stock was cracked and I felt that it was 1. slightly unsafe to use, 2. didn't want to do any further damage to it. At the time it still got a deer or two every year. It made some of the longest open site shots that I've ever seen a 30/30 gun make too. My dad and my gpa both frequently made 200+ yd shots with it. It was my gpa's first deer hunting gun and he'd earned it for working a summer at his uncle's, which was back in the late 20's early 30's.

Could mention my house which is one of the oldest things I own, it was built in 1904, has true 2x4's and original wood work/floors :)

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Probably my socks. Older than most of you all:lol:
Seriously, though, it's probably my dad's Model 1917 Colt revolver. He had it for as long as I can remember and left it to me when he died in 2003.

I'm still rolling with an IBM bag from the mid 80's in college because I'm too poor for a new one ;). Lol

My late Grandmother used her S&H Green Stamps (anyone remember those?) to get me a set of dishes and silverware when I turned 18. I'm down to just a few pieces of silverware and one plate, but my wife and I still regularly use those today, 25 years later.

Thank you, Granny.

Plain steel, flat bottomed wok purchased in '82, at least 3 times a week for the last 30 years, have had to re-flatten the bottom with an anvil and hammer but it's a pretty well seasoned piece of steel.

Recently replaced a wallet i'd been using for almost 40 years.

I have a dining room set from the 30s that was my Grandmothers. It has 6 chairs, sideboard and china cabinet that are all quarter sawn oak. I refinished the table about 25 years myself ago as the finish had failed and the grain of the oak was showing. The rest of the set has the original finish.

The table has always been used for special occasions but the chairs are a different story. I spent a good deal of time as a child sitting in those chairs thinking about something I had done or said. We passed the tradition of time out in the green chairs to my two sons. Recently my grandson was over and had a incident where he needed a time out. My son picked him up, placed him in a chair and told him to sit there until his attitude changed.

I looked at my son and said, " There you go three generations in those chairs, who would have thought?"

Guns do seem to last. I still have a .22 that was passed on to me when I was about 8 years old. It's not as accurate or versatile as the newer models, but I still favour it over my "better" .22 purchased a few years ago. Then I also have a .243 that was passed on to me about 20 years ago and is as good today as it was then.

I also have my grandpa's Parker 51 that he purchased about 60 years ago, but I guess that is more recently mine.

Some kitchen items are over the 10 and 15 year marks, but I imagine there are many others out there with much older kitchen wares.

I've got some pieces of silverware that my parents had when I was a small child. They're nothing special, but they're still my favorites simply due to the fact that they're solid and smooth. None of the newer stuff that we have seems to get as clean in the dishwasher. I pointed them out to my mom the last time she was here and apparently she doesn't even remember them. They're the set that I remember using as a very young child, so they're at least 27 years old, and probably older than me (31).

As for items that I've purchased myself, I've got a Kelty Redwing 2900 backpack that I bought when I was in high school. I bought it during my Junior or Senior year, so 13 or 14 years ago. I used it every day after I bought it in high school and all through college, even getting comments from random students on campus about how great they were. Now it's my go to bag for going out of town. Other than a zipper that gets a little stuck from time to time, it's as good as the day I bought it.

Belt that's at least 15 years old. Bought it in Gap. I knew it was a quality belt when I saw it. I have about ten newer belts and nothing comes close to it.

Belt that's at least 15 years old. Bought it in Gap. I knew it was a quality belt when I saw it. I have about ten newer belts and nothing comes close to it.

I have a belt that I got from old navy about that long ago, new it was a good quality belt. It's outlasted at least 3 of it's replacements, (replaced for more dressier belts btw) Not sure how a good piece of leather got into the $20 price bin but hey I'm not going to complain.

My emergency/outdoor work watch from 1993, gets used on a regular basis.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418239482.529361.jpg

Top Bottom