What's new

Help out a Newb.

Hey all, I'm looking to get back into the FP world. Found 2 pens I'd like your feedback on.
Would the Sheaffer be a good starter? Could I find parts for the Wearever?
$Fixxer.jpg$Small pen.jpg

First off, welcome back to the world of FP's and to the Nib if this is one of your first posts here:thumbup1:

Second, I think you would probably be overpaying for the Wearever. I'm sure that you could find the parts needed, but in the end, I think you could find a more complete model for about the same price.

I think you would probably be overpaying for the Sheaffer as well, unless it has been restored. If it hasn't, it would further depend on what filling mechanism it has

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The Wearever is missing more than the cap rings the tag shows. The blind cap is gone and may be not too difficult to find but it's not worth $10 IMO.

The Sheaffer is also priced fairly high as part of a set but it doesn't look like a cartridge model to me, more like a Touchdown filler. Nice pen though (when repaired and working).

The Wearever is missing more than the cap rings the tag shows. The blind cap is gone and may be not too difficult to find but it's not worth $10 IMO.

The Sheaffer is also priced fairly high as part of a set but it doesn't look like a cartridge model to me, more like a Touchdown filler. Nice pen though (when repaired and working).
+1

Not good. Not good at all. If you've left the FPW once you must prove yourself worthy of returning. You must juggle a straight razor and a fountain, until you slice a finger or you slice a finger. Which ever comes first. This is where I put LOL

Agreed that both pens are overpriced. The Wearever isn't a great pen to start with, and that one has issues. The Sheaffer is probably a "touchdown-filler" model and, although it's a nice pen, it will likely need restoration work, also. Figure on at least $30 plus shipping, etc.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I dislike suggesting vintage pens as for starters (or re-starters), since unless you know what to look for (or pay a lot to get it from a reputable restorer) you are in a real crapshoot as to ... well, it's like buying a used car. Lemons abound.

(That said, once you get your feet under you, vintage pens are great!!)

I got lucky with a $3 wearever from the bay that was still in perfect shape, all I had to do was give it a good cleaning and do a bit of polishing on the barrel and cap, but that was getting lucky that the sac was not dry rotted and the nib was still in working shape, the gold plating that was on the nib is completely gone but it writes perfectly fine. I don't really use it anymore since I have way nicer pens now. You can't go wrong with a hero, I got one in a PIF and the steel nib writes a little like a regular old ball point and gives you the look and feel of a FP and let's you play with one so when you get a nicer one you will know what's going on.

Top Bottom