What's new

Help finding a shaving cream for sensitive skin

I can relate to your plight as I also react to most creams. The more that I think about it, I might have reacted to every cream I've tried. My list includes:

All TOBS
All AOS (same base as TOBS)
All Real Shaving (Same base as TOBS/AOS)
Nivea sensitive cream (the balm also lights me up, I think it's the chamomile)
Proraso Cream (the croaps work great for me though)
Body Shop Maca Root (really burns)

What I'm gathering from all this (and what may help you as well) is that anything in cream form might have a higher concentration of something that burns us. For me it seems to have nothing to do with the fragrance, as AOS scented and unscented stings me the same. Likewise, Proraso cream burns, but I love all their soap formulations and use them with great success.

You might want to look into soaps instead as your go-to, this could cut down a lot of issues. That being said, I still react to a small number of soaps, but I believe those reactions to actually be fragrance related whereas the cream reaction is more related to the entire formula.

I can relate to your plight as I also react to most creams. The more that I think about it, I might have reacted to every cream I've tried. My list includes:

All TOBS
All AOS (same base as TOBS)
All Real Shaving (Same base as TOBS/AOS)
Nivea sensitive cream (the balm also lights me up, I think it's the chamomile)
Proraso Cream (the croaps work great for me though)
Body Shop Maca Root (really burns)

What I'm gathering from all this (and what may help you as well) is that anything in cream form might have a higher concentration of something that burns us. For me it seems to have nothing to do with the fragrance, as AOS scented and unscented stings me the same. Likewise, Proraso cream burns, but I love all their soap formulations and use them with great success.

You might want to look into soaps instead as your go-to, this could cut down a lot of issues. That being said, I still react to a small number of soaps, but I believe those reactions to actually be fragrance related whereas the cream reaction is more related to the entire formula.

I think you might be on to something. The only product that I don't seem to get irritated from is an aloe vera soap made locally. I just tried Proraso white soap and I'm a little irritated. First pass I was fine but after the second I became irritated around my Adam's apple like always then in kind of a U shape where my beard ends on my neck. Could it be the blade I'm using? I've only used the derby. I wanted to find a cream/soap I like before switching blades. I bought a sample pack from Maggards so I have a bunch of different kinds to try. Thanks!

I was under the impression that the proraso cream and croap were the same, formula?

I would try a different blade. It could be the derby causing the issue as its been an unchanged variable throughout your shaves.

Do you get the same irritation from just applying the cream on your face, leaving it there for a minute or two, or is it only after a pass or two when the irritation sarts?

I was under the impression that the proraso cream and croap were the same, formula?

I would try a different blade. It could be the derby causing the issue as its been an unchanged variable throughout your shaves.

Do you get the same irritation from just applying the cream on your face, leaving it there for a minute or two, or is it only after a pass or two when the irritation sarts?

I used the Proraso blue cream and that caused irritation, but the white soap didn't cause much irritation. I'll have to try applying just the cream to see if I get irritated.

What blade would you recommend that I try next out of this pack?? http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/double-edge-razor-blade-sampler-50-blades-9-types/

Personally I would try either one of the Astras. I'll clarify my comment about the proraso, the green tube and tub are the same as are the white tub and tube. However the different colors have some formula variations between them. If you use the green tub with no irritation would suspect that the green cream would be the same. Hence my suspicion that it might be the blade/technique.

Personally I would try either one of the Astras. I'll clarify my comment about the proraso, the green tube and tub are the same as are the white tub and tube. However the different colors have some formula variations between them. If you use the green tub with no irritation would suspect that the green cream would be the same. Hence my suspicion that it might be the blade/technique.

I tried the Astra and I believe that I have razor burn now. It's so frustrating!

Well guys I figured I'd give you an update. I tried the Astra SP first with TOBS Avocado and had minor irritation. Then I tried it with my aloe vera soap and got horrible razor burn. After three days of rest, I got out the Jermyn St and after shaving I used witch hazel. I barely have any irritation now! I think witch hazel was the answer to my issues!!

Sorry for bringing my thread back but is AOS stuff really that good? I just tried a sample of AOS Unscented oil, cream and balm and it was the best shave I've ever gotten. Absolutely no irritation and it was the closest shave I've gotten since I started DE shaving.

Sorry for bringing my thread back but is AOS stuff really that good? I just tried a sample of AOS Unscented oil, cream and balm and it was the best shave I've ever gotten. Absolutely no irritation and it was the closest shave I've gotten since I started DE shaving.

Many swear by the AOS products, they are no doubt good. However they are made by the same parent company (Creightons) that makes TOBS and others.

Have you ever used a preshave oil before? I think that was probably why you got such a good shave, and the AOS oil isn't even that good!

No I have not used preshave oil before. Tried Cornhuskers lotion a few times but it was a mess. I'm going to try using the little bit of AOS preshave oil with my TOBS Jermyn St to see if there is still no irritation. If there is irritation I think I've narrowed it down to the scents causing my irritation.

Could you recommend a good preshave oil? I think it would be wise to start using it. I saw that west coast makes one that's Unscented.

No I have not used preshave oil before. Tried Cornhuskers lotion a few times but it was a mess. I'm going to try using the little bit of AOS preshave oil with my TOBS Jermyn St to see if there is still no irritation. If there is irritation I think I've narrowed it down to the scents causing my irritation.

Could you recommend a good preshave oil? I think it would be wise to start using it. I saw that west coast makes one that's Unscented.

I think a good all-around (and readily available) PSO is Shave Secret at WalMart. Most preshave oils are all similar, and I find this one works better than most...and is like $4. It's far better than the AOS oil to me.

I think a good all-around (and readily available) PSO is Shave Secret at WalMart. Most preshave oils are all similar, and I find this one works better than most...and is like $4. It's far better than the AOS oil to me.

I'll have to try that out! I'm going to determine what variable made my shave better and eliminated the irritation then buy stuff based on that.

yeah, I have sensitive skin... So far, found a few that seem to work currently. And sorry to say, these answers may upset traditionalist:
Firstly a little disclaimer, yes I have moved on from the misery that is cartridge based shaving... but some things CAN carry over. Despite being non-traditional and "new".
I have found the Nivea Men's sensitive shaving gel, with a good "proper" preperation routine and lathered up with a nice real hair shaving brush works very well. The smell is pretty neutral (not even sure it has one TBH), which for some would consider dull. Most of all though, it doesn't seem to dry the skin. Plus, you do get a thick creamy smooth lather with v little effort
Another one I've tried is the Arko shaving stick (in the red pack), which has a subtle "barber's shop" smell to it. However, not convinced this is the one as last it was used.... the old beast showed up; blotchy red face and some notable discomfort. Not sure if the soap hindered or helped in that (using a blade I'd not used before at time)- so currently the jury is out on that one.I think a shaveless brush test is in order (once my skin settles down).
Lastly, an old favorite - which is quickly becoming my "go to" - Palmolive Classic shaving cream. Again, scent-wise it's an understated (read:boring) affair... think "a hint of mint and woodland in spring kinda fresh smell" and you're there. In use, it's pretty ecomonical (1 month in and over 3/4 tube still there) and gives a nice, almost buttery lather.
On a side note, you've most likely seen a theme here - the creams and soaps I tend to choose have little or no scent. There's good reason for this... Over the many years I've been shaving (20 plus) I've found the various gels, creams and soaps that really cause problems all tend to be ones with strong (read:eek:verbearing) scents. Therefore, I try to avoid those. Also, I do have a wide range of aftershaves that I apply should I wish for a more "masculine" finish... if your soap scent is fighting with your aftershave, it's not going to give a good overall impression.
**aftershave top tip: if it's in a spray - spray it in air and walk through the mist making sure you close you eyes, this will give you enough scent to get noticed without it smelling like you bathed in it (and TBH why would you spray scented alcohol onto your freshly shaved face?!)**

Last edited:
Hmm... think you need to eliminate one of the possible variables...
Out of curiosity, have you tried a a simple contact test? Use your chosen cream or soap... lather it up, and just let it sit on your face (there's joke in there somewhere, I'm sure) for five minutes and rinse.

Leave it around 24 hours, then try the same thing with a different product.
If your skin shows signs of irritation... you've found the culprit.

I can relate to your plight as I also react to most creams.

Try real (hard) shaving soap. Generally, creams are a bit more aggressive on my skin than soaps. I think that's got to do with the difference in saponification compared to hard soaps. Apart from that, you could try the Speick cream, which I had the least problems with so far. I also had a bad reaction to the Maca Root. Palmolive is also something I'd stay away from, then.

It's interesting that the Proraso cream gives you problems but the soap/croap doesn't. Maybe you're using less with the soap? Afaik they're basically the same stuff.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Israeli MEM Olive is a great cream, very inexpensive, and it says "perfect for delicate skin".

$IMGP0001.JPG

First, you need to evaluate the razor, blade, soap and your pressure. I use an Edwin Jagger DE89, very mild razor. I used to use every pre soap, oil and balm with no real relief. I just tried the Castle Forbes Lavender oil creme and by far its the best on the market. It's also one of the most expensive. I used a crystal blade and I had no irritation. The oil in the creme gives this a very smooth base for the razor to glide. My face doesn't feel tight. No nicks or rash. A perfect shave. 2 passes would have been very good, 3 passes made it exceptional. I have a cabinet full of soaps and cremes and they will be staying there. 1 swirl of my brush in the creme made enough lather for 3 passes and 5 people. It will last at least 6-12 months. My search has ended!

Try real (hard) shaving soap. Generally, creams are a bit more aggressive on my skin than soaps. I think that's got to do with the difference in saponification compared to hard soaps. Apart from that, you could try the Speick cream, which I had the least problems with so far. I also had a bad reaction to the Maca Root. Palmolive is also something I'd stay away from, then.

It's interesting that the Proraso cream gives you problems but the soap/croap doesn't. Maybe you're using less with the soap? Afaik they're basically the same stuff.

That's probably the opposite of what I've found to be true. Soaps tends to be more alkaline than creams so they tend to dry out my skin more (seeing how our skin is more acidic). What makes soaps hard, is what causes it to dry out your skin more. If you have oily skin, than soaps would be fine.

The same reason why someone with sensitive dry skin should wash their face with a liquid cleanser oppose to a bar cleanser, is because a bar cleanser will typically be more drying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom