What's new

Newbie DE shaver, Heavy traveller

Hello to everyone.
First of all let me thank you all for this great site and for all the info the community offers through this board.

M3, fusion and all the various Methods had made shaving an absolute horror for me; I would always get ingrown hair and the quality of the shaving would always be average (that is unless I mashed the damn thing against my face with all my stregth only to sorely regret it for the next 4 days).

A few weeks back I found B&B and I immediately knew I had to try.
So I geared up:
Merkur 38c (I wanted a long handle for some reason)
Proraso pre/post shave
Proraso Cream (first month I will do cream, second month soaps and see what I like best; then probably move to different brans once I have decided what family I fit in)
C&E BBB
Blade sampler pack (started with Derbys)
Over all your typical newbies set up.

I read the tutorials, watched the videos and took the plunge.
I am still very inexperienced, of course, but from my first shave the quality is the same or better then what I use to get with the Methods but my face doesn't hurt! No ingrowns no burns. I expect that as my tecnique gets better I will eventually start getting closer shaves and my goal will be reached.

However I have one problem. Because of my job I really travel a lot (car, train and airplanes alike); I already read the threads about carrying DE blades on planes and I will have to adapt, my real question is however different. I would be very grateful if you guys could suggest good travel kit solutions: nice bags or kits that you have found to be good/space efficient/classy for carrying around all your toiletries (DE razor, Brush, blades, soap/cream, mug/bowl, shampoo, toothbrush etc etc).
I have been doing some research but I really couldn't find something that convinced me. So again I ask for the help and expertise of the community.

Best regards.

Welcome!

Have you seen this video on travel ideas? It might help.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFNuV7vxZvA[/YOUTUBE]

Welcome aboard. You have a great start. Mantic's videos are great learning tools- if you haven't watched them, you really should.

As for kits- I got a steal on a dopp kit from C&E so that is what I use. When on travel I throw in a shave stick instead of a soap/cream and a mug. Face-lathering is the way to go when packing light. I also have made the trip to Sally's Beauty supply to stock atomizers and travel size containers in order to minimize room.

Good luck and safe travels.

Someone on the other shave forum suggested using contact lens holders as a great way to transport shave creams. I think I may try that. After I spent 5K on getting my wife's eyes lasered, I think she won't mind me stealing her old contact lens cases.

I'll just need to lather on my face. I travel internationally exclusively and with no checked luggage. I'll probably go with a single blade bic disposable shaver since I have no way to transport my DE blades.

Here is my travel set up:
Mergress (a Merkur Progress that has been customized by Mer) that I store in a plastic soap container from Target
QED Shave stick
Cheap hanging toiletry bag from IKEA
C&E BBB in a large pill bottle with holes drilled for ventilation
I then take my QED aftershave balm in the full bottle, because it fits in the bag.

That's about it. I do, however, check my bag, so I do not have the razor blade problem.

Taylor of old bond street makes a good travel razor IMHO. You can find the review for it under the review section of this site, under safety razors.

Top Bottom