What's new

What do all the notes mean?

Head, Base, and Heart notes. I have never actually learned what the hell I am looking at. I know its what scents are in it and what times they come out, but in translation to the general public please explain.

Head or top notes: the first ones to come out. It is what you smell on a fragrance after the initial alcohol burst evaporates. They are the least heavy molecules and usually the least heavy notes too. Fruit, Citrus, BErgamot and Flowers are usually part of these notes.

Middle notes they start to come out 5-30 minutes after the initial application. they are what join the top with the Base notes. Some perfumes claim no to have them (Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet)

Base notes. The heaviest molecules and the one that reveal themselves after a couple of hours. Woods, Vanilla, leather, Musk and Civet generally belong to this group.

Now there is nothing written in stone and a lot of these notions could change from one EDT to the other (an example is john varvatos which in my skin goes the opposite way, from the heavy smoky and spicy notes come first and the most fruit and fresh ones come last).

Top Bottom