What's new

Help me pick a career!

Hey guys, little background info:

-white
-5'10
-charismatic
-Fluent in Spanish
-Smart, but a little unmotivated, scored a 28 on my ACT without even studying.
-like computers, hate math, like people.
- In good shape

I thought I wanted to go into teaching but after seeing the way teaching programs are going: loss of pensions, tenure no longer important, lower wages, etc.

So now I am unsure what I want to do for the rest of my life. I could go into about anything, but nothing strikes my fancy, thinking about just doing trade school for the money, but I feel like I might regret that down the road.

So I am open to ANY suggestions or advice on careers. I figured B&B is always a great place to get solid friendly advice, thanks!

Business development for large engineering firm. Emerging technology say. Liquid natural gas, or alternative energy like wind farms or wave energy generation/tidal generators.

Essentially it's a high profile sales job - liaising with clients and securing major projects for a firm.

Why are you unmotivated, or better, what would motivate you professionally ?

Not quite sure, I know it sounds a bit weird, but I just always figured I wanted to be a teacher, took some classes and realized it was not something I wanted to do. I want to do a job that pays above $35k a year but does not need to be more than $90k.

I thought about working in the videogame industry but there are 3 times the people going into it then there are filled positions.

I would like to work with people, not have to go for school for more than another 4 years, would like some job security.

Follow your heart - and if you don't know what your heart's telling just, do whatever you like til you can hear it properly.

Tried teaching in an area that you feel passionate about? There are a great many careers where educating others is a huge leap away from "teaching". The only real advice I can give you is to do what makes you happy, not what makes you money. If the two meet someday, you can decide which one you want to settle down with, and maybe you can have your cake AND eat it. As corny as it sounds, you need to find yourself before you can have decisions come to rest on your shoulders.

Tried teaching in an area that you feel passionate about? There are a great many careers where educating others is a huge leap away from "teaching". The only real advice I can give you is to do what makes you happy, not what makes you money. If the two meet someday, you can decide which one you want to settle down with, and maybe you can have your cake AND eat it. As corny as it sounds, you need to find yourself before you can have decisions come to rest on your shoulders.

+1.
Between now and the time you choose to retire you will likely have gone through many careers, so don't stress about finding the ONE AND ONLY career now. The advice above is excellent.
My addition: don't let your disappointment stop you from beginning your search. Start with something, anything. At the very least, you can identify what don't want to do, because you didn't enjoy working in that profession.
Keep us posted, this is an interesting thread.

+1 for this. Find a teaching/training job in business or industry.

Do you have a skill that is in need in your area (or you're willing to move) that would allow you to open your own business? Opening your own business is hard work, but it's so rewarding. You'll only make as much as you put into it, and that may be the motivation you need. You also get to see first hand the results of your hard work. I opened my own business and things are going well and will only be getting better. I'm able to work hard, but I also have the freedom to do other things, like house work or spending time with the family. I make my own schedule so I can pretty much do whatever I want as long as I'm satisfied with how business is going. And I only have a high school education (plus 10 years military, but never took a college class). Most states have programs that help people open their small businesses as well.

I'll give you the same advice that I give my kids. Find a job that you think you'd enjoy but make sure it's one that pays well.

I know the old saying find a job that you love and you'll never work a day in your life. I call BS on that because going to work everyday only to be stressed about money all the time isn't much fun either. I've struggled and it sucks. Nobody wants to struggle and your financial troubles will eventually cause you to hate that low paying job. Having a better paying job while still living below your means allows you the opportunity to do things in life that you wouldn't otherwise be able to do, like maybe a nice trip overseas, helping your kids more, being able to retire, etc. The list goes on and on. You have to work so you might as well do something that you are paid nicely for.

However, if you want a decent paying job you'll have to find some motivation. You don't seem to have a lack it intelligence but your motivation seems underwhelming. You can look at the surveys and see what jobs are in demand. Starting salaries aren't always correct or even close sometimes with those yahoo surveys. So when you see the fashion designer position making six figures know that this isn't the norm but more of an exception. Just apply some common sense here. If it seems to good to be true it probably is. What it really comes down to is the jobs that require a higher level of intelligence, and more difficult schooling, will always pay more and be in demand. The exception is that the jobs that put you in danger will also pay high salaries as well. There's a reason guys on an oil rig, electricians who work on the high power line towers, high rise window washers, and elevator repairmen make big money. The money is to offset the risk they are taking.

There are many great jobs available for those who are intelligent however without motivation you likely won't get through the schooling needed to get them. A computer Science degree opens lots of doors but it's not something that you'll attain with a half hearted effort. Computer and Engineering degrees lead to great jobs but they are some of the more difficult programs to get through as the unmotivated quickly realize. My best friend's daughter has been dating this guy for the past maybe 6 years. He's one of the most intelligent people I've met. Scored the state record on some big important math test, full ride to ASU to get an engineering degree, the works. He's still in college now but bombed out of the Engineering program and now gets to pay for his school himself. It's certainly not due to a lack of intelligence but it's 100% due to a lack of motivation. Not doing the required work and playing video games for hours will ensure you fail out of a difficult program such as this. These programs require even the most intelligent to apply themselves and put the effort in.

Some jobs in the medical field are appealing and can provide a nice living. The people running the complex machines to do advanced tests like MRI's and Catscans have a technical job that allows them to interact with people. These can be high paying positions that I don't think would necessitate more than four years of school. Again, there will be some difficult classes involved with these careers as well so without motivation you won't finish and will be throwing money away. On a positive note these positions can't be outsourced.

As far as trade type jobs some auto mechanics can make a pretty good living now if you're working in a dealership. Side jobs can help boost your salary when you need some extra money as well. Car's are getting more technologically advanced and require more intelligence to troubleshoot and repair them. This job can't be outsources but you'll likely end up with a sore back after years of physical labor. Plumbers, electricians, etc all require some schooling and an apprenticeship. Once you finish, these are the type of jobs that you can eventually make a nice living if you are motivated to work. If you're not motivated I wouldn't recommend these careers either.

Keep in mind that if you scored as high as you did on the ACT then you should find a career that challenges you mentally as well. Doing the same thing everyday without being challenged might drive you crazy. I work in the computer industry and love that with my position I have to keep learning new things and growing my knowledge. A factory type setting doing the same thing over and over wouldn't give me the challenges that I need and I wouldn't last a day.

Anyway, my advice it to give it some thought to find something that you think you'd enjoy doing that would provide a nice living and challenge you. Then before you start, find the motivation needed to get the degree that allows you to attain this position. College is where you prove to your future employer that you are responsible, that you're trainable, and that you can finish what you start. It's not all that difficult to get a degree if you really want to be successful and are willing to do the work needed to get there. In college motivation and intelligence are what separate you from everyone else, honestly it's mostly motivation that determines your success there.

We have an entire generation of lazy people out there right now, so given your intelligence please don't waste it by shooting for average.

Chip n Dale dancer?

???

proxy.php

We're looking at shortages in welders and machinists. These trades are going to be hot over the next few years. Not many in the video game generation want to work outside in the elements any more, so if you're willing, you can profit from this. If you live in an industrial area, chemical plant or oil/gas refinery operations is also a good career choice, but I'd lean more towards oil/gas refining since the specialty chemical industry can be prone to lay offs at times. Oil refinery ops can put you over $100k per year with a surprisingly low amount of overtime worked.

You wished to be a teacher, meaning staying with people, transferring ideas, empowering them.
If you're willing to keep an eye open on computers and stay with people, creatig value you could belong to a supply chain team.
That would include, production planning, logistics and purchasing.
Is this something you'd be happy with ?

Top Bottom