What's new

Why No Love for Derby Blades?

Derby's are so inconsistent with their quality control, most likely due to worn out manufacturing equipment.
Top quality blade manufactures replace equipment on a very regular schedule, as tooling wears with use.
Derby has most likely not performed a lot of required upgrades lately, resulting in bad batches of blades being produced.
Because of the inconsistent quality getting shipped, it's possible all of their QC employees have been replaced with a rubber stamper.
I have no reason to try their blades again, once was enough.

Derby's are so inconsistent with their quality control, most likely due to worn out manufacturing equipment.
Top quality blade manufactures replace equipment on a very regular schedule, as tooling wears with use.
Derby has most likely not performed a lot of required upgrades lately, resulting in bad batches of blades being produced.
Because of the inconsistent quality getting shipped, it's possible all of their QC employees have been replaced with a rubber stamper.
I have no reason to try their blades again, once was enough.

Interesting speculation. I wonder if many of the blade manufacturers put off equipment upkeep, thus explaining inconsistency. In contrast, people generally have a high opinion of many of the Russian made blades from St. Petersburg which received a large investment of new equipment from Gillette about a decade ago. Ditto for the Indian 7 O'Clocks which are said to be made in a state of the art factory. And of course, I'm certain that Feathers are kept to the exceptionally high Japanese standards. Of course, that doesn't explain why the German blades like Merkur or Wilkinson Sword are so disappointing and/or overpriced when India and Russia can put out such superb products at low price.

Some came with my Edwin Jagger and I didn't think they were terrible. I threw in one about a month ago after trying a dozen different manufacturers and they pulled really bad. I couldn't make it through one pass.

I thought they were fine when I had nothing good to compare them too. My face was irritated, and I got a weeper here and there. Figured it was my newbie technique. Then I switched to Astra SS and realized that while my technique isn't perfect (yet ... maybe ever) the ill effects I was suffering were far more related to the blade. Bye bye Derby ....

I'm just now finishing up a carton of Derbys that I bought in 2009. Been using them in a Star de for about a year and a half straight. I don't know about the newer ones but my carton was good. Doubt I will replace them though, as I like Lord Platinums better.

Don't know if they still make them or not, but Bluebirds are a similar blade to the Derby, but at least in my opinion they are sharper. Some people find no difference between the two and think they are the same blade with different labeling, but I found the Bluebirds to be sharper. Anyone who liked the smoothness of the Derby but found them dull might try a sample of Bluebirds if they are still made.

I never had any problems with derby's, they feel like a duller astra SP to me (witch are my favorite) I wonder if it's because my face just reacts well with platinum coated blades, because I prefer derby's to personna labs

Yes! I remember Blue Birds. Have not seen these in a while.

I'm just now finishing up a carton of Derbys that I bought in 2009. Been using them in a Star de for about a year and a half straight. I don't know about the newer ones but my carton was good. Doubt I will replace them though, as I like Lord Platinums better.

Don't know if they still make them or not, but Bluebirds are a similar blade to the Derby, but at least in my opinion they are sharper. Some people find no difference between the two and think they are the same blade with different labeling, but I found the Bluebirds to be sharper. Anyone who liked the smoothness of the Derby but found them dull might try a sample of Bluebirds if they are still made.

Top Bottom