What's new

Why No Love for Derby Blades?

The Derby blades went from really good to really bad around 2008-2009. My guess is that they changed supplier but kept the label. I wish l had some old stock left but they are all long gone.

I used Derby's for the first two months of my short wet shaving adventure across six different razors. I thought they did just fine given that I had no point of comparison. I was never able to achieve a BBS shave with them, but that wasn't a big deal to me as I was experimenting with razors and learning technique.

I've since moved to the ATT R2 as my daily driver and started experimenting with different blade types. I'm now on my fourth blade type, and I find the Derby to be a step below the Dorco ST300, but on par with the Merkur and Crystal SP's I've tried. I still have a bunch of other brands to go through from my sampler pack.

Derby is my go-to blade after trying several others. Some of the others are still good and in my den, but Derbys are my favorite of the ones I have used (Astra SP, Gillette Blacks, Personna Blues, Sharks, Wilkinson, Balzano).

They used to be liked on here apparently, in the days before I signed up.
Now they're out of favor and Astra wins all the plaudits. But I imagine that too will change.
Meantime, I'm sticking with Shark SS. Like Derby, an out-of-favor blade which works great for me.

I'm a new shaver (to DE anyways) and I got a sampler pack from West Coast Shaving.

Every blade has given me a good shave, and lasted at least 4 shaves.....except for Derby. The first shave with a Derby gave me a bad rash on my neck and it was thrown out after that.

It possible I had a bad blade, but for the cost, it's not worth it. Astra blades are cheap, gave me a great shave, and last as long as a Feather or a Merkur at half the price.

I just received 200 more Derby blades. I get better shaves from them than I do with Feathers. I haven't tried many blades because I started with Derby and have been happy. I've got 80-90 Personna blades...get about the same results with them. Maybe I'm not a very demanding shaver...

I have never had a Derby blade that was a good shave. They are the twins of the blades Dollar General sells in my opinion.
They will work in a pinch but I wouldn't use them everyday.

If they work for you by all means use them, I kind of thinks blades are a lot like women, each one is different and what works for you wouldn't work at all for me.

i actually like the Derbys but the only reason i do believe is that where i started with wet shaving im due to give them a try again

I, too, have been around here long enough to remember when Derby blades were among the most recommended. I bought 100 about five years ago, and get great shaves from them in most razors. I haven't had a bad blade in the 50 blades ( and more than 200 shaves) I've used to this point. With well over 1000 other blades in my den, my remaining stock of Derby blades should last me at least another decade.

As so many long-standing members seem to like them, and newer members are more likely to disparage them, I suspect the blades have changed in some way from "back in the day". Either that, or there is some type of negative confirmation bias going on. The former seems more likely, judging by the number of people complaining about them. It's also possible that members who have strong feelings about them (one way or the other) are more likely to post a comment.

In in any case, I'm half tempted to pick up a sample of the newer blades to see if the performance differs from the older ones.

I have a new supply of Derby blades, and find them no different than my previous purchases of Derby's. I find they are about the same as the other blades in their price range.

Well - after about 5 years, I finally shaved with a Derby again in a couple different DE's. Still is a descent blade. It does well in my aggressive Gillette Old Type. I am not going to trade this lot away - but not sure if I will buy any more given what else is out there.

I get 3 great shaves with Derbys in my progress but I need to turn it up to 5! Astras give me a great shave at 3.5.

I don't think Derby are as bad as some folks say, but to me, Derbys are not as sharp as Astras, which are literally only a penny or two more. Why spend $9 when you can spend $10 (per 100ct)?

Just a followup - after trying more derby blades - I will have to say they are not as smooth as they were years ago. If you are thinking about buying these - esp. in bulk - I would recommend you at least try something else.

I don't think Derby are as bad as some folks say...

I just used one again today due to this thread. Great shave in a pre-war Tech. I've never had a Derby let me down. I have a little less than 50 of them left and will use them sporadically. I think they are sharper than many realize and as well, they don't have the fancy blade coating(s) that Gillette uses and this is enhanced when people don't have good prep or use an overly aggressive razor.

Top Bottom