What's new

Monthly Tobacco Discussion December 2014

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Servus!

Since I am a avowed disliker of aromatics, it's either a VA/Per or Latakia/English in my pipe.

Lately, been really enjoying Black XX from S. Gawith. Not for the feint-hearted but really smooth when smoked slowly. Also been enjoying Ashton Golden Flake that has been sitting since 2004. Great smoke!!!

I have read of several here who dislike all aromatics? I am curious, what are the reasons behind this?

I have read of several here who dislike all aromatics? I am curious, what are the reasons behind this?

As someone who dislikes most aros (outside of Lakelands), it's because they don't taste like what they smell like. I find that most aros smell great but taste bland. I don't really care what my tobacco smells like for the most part. If I need a X-chromosome friendly blend, I'll go with one of my floral Lakelands, so that they can enjoy the aroma and I can enjoy the taste.

There are an awful lot of aromatics that are awful and are very easy to get and seem popular. They are the first tobaccos that most people smoke. They don't always behave well. Most do not taste as good as they smell.

There are some good ones out there and I intend to eventually find the ones that really work for me.

I started off with tobacco shop Aro blends. That lasted a very short time. Once one experiences a good English or VA, things change rather quickly, IMHO. For whatever reason, the USA has a lot of Aro Smokers. I still will occasionally bring out an Aro that has a decent tobacco in it. The other day it was Deep Hollow. The red and black stoved VAs are great in that blend, and I think the aromatics do add to the baccy.

Modified my Peterson 80 bulldog by drilling out the P-Lip stem so it smokes as a traditional pipe. It would also whistle. Fixed that by gently running a brass brush to rid of the build up. Smokes great, I'm glad I didn't sell it.

Top Bottom