What's new

West Coast Canadian Pass-around Box

Day 3
For today's shave I broke off a chunk of Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn St. I stuck the piece of soap in my Stainless lathering bowl and loaded with my Vie Long Horsehair brush and went to face lather. I put a Treet Platinum blade into my Aristocrat #66 and got a very good shave. The TOBS makes a good lather, and has a light scent. The Treet is nice and sharp and again I ended up BBS and AGAiG. I finished off the shave using NRam's Citrus Bay Rum. His after shave has a very strong citrus scent going on, but quickly tones down letting the Bay Rum come to the top. It is a very nice AS. Great Work.
Tomorrow for Menthol Monday I have already got a piece of Yeti Snot waiting in my lather bowl. I have not as yet chosen a blade for the shave.
proxy.php

Who is that dapper green faced moustached guy? I was noticing the quantity of shave soap there is in the box and how few get sampled. I had sent a samples for each receiver of the pass around Canadian box. Please, everyone feel free to take samples of any of The First Canadian Shave Soap. No review necessary. If more is wanted please let me know. The best part of this thread is the opening of the box!!!

The dapper green fellow is Sir Jasper. My grandkids gave him to me because the mustache reminded them of me. I ran a PIF to give him a name and Sir Jasper he became. I take it you are the originator of the First Canadian Shave Soap Co. Thank you for the offer. I was going to try your Bay Rum scent, but I will grab samples of all of your soaps. Thank you for your generous donation.

Who is that dapper green faced moustached guy? I was noticing the quantity of shave soap there is in the box and how few get sampled. I had sent a samples for each receiver of the pass around Canadian box. Please, everyone feel free to take samples of any of The First Canadian Shave Soap. No review necessary. If more is wanted please let me know. The best part of this thread is the opening of the box!!!

I was thinking that is a ton of soap, and if everyone on the list just tried a shave or two those soaps would last for decades !!

Thanks !!

Have you used other TOBS soaps?
I was wondering how the scent of Jermyn Street was compared to Eton College.

Thanks bri62!

I have your Barrie Bay Rum and Naked Truth. They are GREAT soaps. I can't wait to sample some of your other soaps.

Thanks,
imcndn

Day 4
For my shave today I am using Yeti Snot soap, Big Ben blade, and Real Shave Oil. For the hardware I used my USA Single Ring and the Omega 10066 Boar. I dropped the chunk of soap into my lather bowl and loaded the brush. I applied the shave oil and face lathered the soap. It is true what everyone says about the Yeti Snot. It is one cold soap, face freeze cold, and it makes excellent lather. This was the first time I have used a pre shave oil and it did not make a difference in my shave. The one weak spot in all of my shaves so far has been today. The Big Ben blade was rough and tugging for the first couple of passes. I did end up BBS, but it was not a comfortable shave. I will be ordering from the Yeti Soap Co. The passaround box has been a lot of fun so far. The blades and soaps I have tried are products I would not normally have tried. I guess that is the whole concept of the passaround. I will have to take a couple of items from the box, as I have some additions.
I also found one half of the mascots for the BOTOC. This small goat followed me home from the $ store.
proxy.php

Day 5. Today I pulled a small spoon of Tiki surfs up and plunked in my lather bowl. I loaded my NGT Pure Badger brush and inserted a Dorco Blade in my made in England Flat Bottom Tech. The Tiki is a very good soap. The scent is a little light but the lather is excellent with great slickness. The Dorco blade is very sharp and my shave was exceptional. Finished with NRams Citrus Bay Rum.
****** NO PHOTO TODAY i WILL TAKE ONE TOMORROW AND ADD IT ******

Day 6. For a day on the road, I brought along the sample of Wiliams Ice Blue Cream and a Gillette 7 O'Clock Black Blade. I decided to use the Gold Rocket I picked up in the wild. I used a coffee stir stick to scoop out a snurdle of the cream and face lathered with my Omega Bambino. Like modern Williams this cream is thirsty. it took some playing with quantity of cream and water to achieve an excellent lather. It is not strongly scented and does not have much of a menthol feel. You can feel the residual slickness when I rinsed my face after each pass. The Gillette Black blade sliced through the days growth like a hot knife through butter. A very enjoyable shave.
proxy.php

The box will be mailed on Monday. I was traveling for work until Wednesday night, and Thursday morning my family and I traveled to Edmonton for Breakforth.

Wow! Is really the the only thing that came to mind.
I grabbed a couple of the First Canadian samples when I had the box and finaly got around to using one this morning. I used a piece of Barrie Bay Rum like a shaving stick and face lathered with it. Holy man is it ever some good stuff! This guy knows what he's doing when it comes to making shaving soap. Usually when I fave lather my last pass has a very poor amount of soap that hardly qualifies as enough, but with this I had plenty enough for at least 2 more passes.
Volume isn't the only thing it offers either. It's slick as... well you know, that stuff that people say is slick. It's got cushion, it's got protection, and when you're done your gave feels great. I was left with a BBS worth no irritation what so ever.
And it smells pretty good too.

Bri62 I know you said no review was necessary but I had to say something. Kudos to you brother. This is some really good stuff.

The WCPAB is is shipped!
My Take from the box. Arko, because I have not tried it yet, and it is excellent soap. The Beach, because TWGW loves visiting the Ocean (Our next trip will be to Long Beach for a Tony Robbins event), some samples and some blades. I had a very good time with the box. I did not use any of the hardware or brushes as I have the same or similar razors and brushes. I did enjoy the soap samples as well as the After Shave samples. Captains Choice is on my want list while I have not been chosen by the Veg. I truly like N'Rams Citrus Bay Rum and would purchase a bottle from him if he made some for sale. I got a chance to use some blades I have not used and except for the Big Ben, they are all sharp and smooth. I did try some pre shave oil, but it does not make a difference in the shave, YMMV. It is a great box, and it was tough to get everything to fit. For you fellas down the road, ENJOY!
proxy.php

What I added to the box. Soap from an Edmonton artisan soap maker, Wild Prairie Soap - Rebel Shave Bar and a sample. Classic Shaving Lime, and Every Man Jack Shave Cream. 4 packs of blades and a couple of Edmonton Eskimo stamp dispensors which can be used for blade banks.
proxy.php

And the tracking number. I signed up for the Canada Post Venture program. It gives you a 5% discount and insures the package for $100.00. Shipping was $17.90 with the GST.
proxy.php

Last edited:
The WCPAB is is shipped!
My Take from the box. Arko, because I have not tried it yet, and it is excellent soap. The Beach, because TWGW loves visiting the Ocean (Our next trip will be to Long Beach for a Tony Robbins event), some samples and some blades. I had a very good time with the box. I did not use any of the hardware or brushes as I have the same or similar razors and brushes. I did enjoy the soap samples as well as the After Shave samples. Captains Choice is on my want list while I have not been chosen by the Veg. I truly like N'Rams Citrus Bay Rum and would purchase a bottle from him if he made some for sale. I got a chance to use some blades I have not used and except for the Big Ben, they are all sharp and smooth. I did try some pre shave oil, but it does not make a difference in the shave, YMMV. It is a great box, and it was tough to get everything to fit. For you fellas down the road, ENJOY!

Great reviews! I did not care for the Big Ben blade either, but was pretty happy with everything else I tried. Kept a small sample of the Yeti Snot that I am waiting for the right day to use.
I am glad you enjoyed my Bay Rum. Got the recipe for it on B&B somewhere and made a few changes... I made it quite a while ago when I first saw a recipe for it but have collected a lot of other AS now and don't plan on making anymore for a while.
Here is the recipe in case you want to give it a go. (I think it had a little too much orange so I think I put more than was listed below):
Citrus Bay Rum Aftershave
Ingredients:
2 oz Vodka
1 oz Witch Hazel
3 oz overproof Amber or Dark Rum (I used Panama Red which is actually a pretty nice, smooth, tasty rum.)
4 fresh bay leaves
¼ stick cinnamon
1 sprig (with 4 leaves) fresh Mint leaves
1 Tsp Dried Orange Peel
1 Tbsp Dried Lime Peel
3 whole cloves
4 whole All Spice berries
4 black Pepper Corns
8 drops vitamin E (from gel cap)
10 drops Sandlewood EO
Instructions:
Put all ingredients in a sealed Jar and store in a cool dark place for about 3 weeks. Give the Jar a little shake about once every couple days.
Filter through a metal Coffee Filter. Filter again through a paper coffee filter.

That sounds like I might whip up a batch... But where did you get the bay leaf? The bay in bar rum is a different genus and species from cooking bay

Top Bottom