What's new

Looking for a new pen

I have tried the Pilot Metro and 78g and a Lamy Safari and did not like them. My wife and granddaughter got them and loves them. If money was not a problem I would get a restored Parker 51 or 45 flighter, Lamy 2000, or a Pilot Custom 74.
What I am looking at is a Nemosine Singularity Demonstrator, Hero 616 or a Platinum Plaisir. I like a fine nib. What are your thoughts?

I own all 3 of those pens that you're looking at. The Nemosine Singularity isn't a bad pen (it's decent), but it might have issues. Some of them come apart as you unscrew them (meaning, you go to unscrew the cap and instead, the barrel comes off). Some owners have reported that it is prone to leakage in the cap, which you can see if you have a demonstrator. In any case, it's a decent pen for the money. In terms of construction, it's similar to the 78G...maybe a little more robust. Still light plastic.

You get a converter and 6 cartridges with the pen. Mine writes on the dry side (I have a .8 stub nib) but I'm not sure if they all do. It's something you can fix if it comes like that for you. I don't really like mine to be honest, but it's got that .8 stub, which isn't so common in the pen world, so I still use it often.

The Hero 616 is a great pen for the money -- I think anyway. Others think they're trash and fall apart/stop working in a year. I have several of them, and they've all been fine pens for the 4 years I've owned them, and one in particular is the smoothest nib I own. Smoother than all my 14k nibs. Smoother than any Parker 51 I've ever tried. Smooth, wet, and just a dream of a writer. I call it a "mutant" because it's so different from the others. So who knows? You might get a mutant, or you might get one that performs poorly. Just expect another basic plastic pen, slim, and the clip may or may not be slightly crooked. But for $5, what are you gonna do?

The Platinum Plaisir has the obvious advantage of being a metal pen. It's still light, but it's metal. The metal can be slippery, and because the cap *SNAPS!* on very tightly and takes a little effort to remove, that may present a problem sometimes. But I can also attest to the fact that the ink does NOT dry out due to the special sealing system in the cap. The downside is that you have to buy a Platinum converter with it, since it doesn't come with one. I use mine with Platinum cartridges, and the Fine nib writes a bit wider than Japanese fines typically do (at least I think mine is a Fine...I don't remember and the nib isn't marked).

If I were you, I'd get both the Plaisir and the Hero 616 Jumbo. Then later, when money is avalable, go to Ebay and get a Custom 74 with a Soft Fine nib from Japan. It'll be black (you can't get one with the special nibs in any other color), but it's awesome. I speak from experience. :thumbup1:

The Lamy 2000 is awesome too.

My advice - and this applies to a lot in life, is to hang on and save a bit more for something good quality.
If you like a 45 flighter, they're fairly affordable.
My experience with a 616 wasn't great, and you've tried the standard 'entry level' pens of reasonable quality. If they didn't fit the bill I suspect you need to go up a grade to find that pen that's just right for you.

Good luck!

Top Bottom