What's new

Fitbit, Jawbove, vivofit, etc.what's your choice?

I had a fitbit flex, and it just up and died on me 3 months after purchase. Just today I replaced it with a Garmin vivofit. Give me a few days of use, and I'll give you a comparison. Needless to say, I do not recommend the fitbit.
How is it after a week?

I liked the jawbone and its app, but the band stopped working every couple months. They sent replacements, but I got tired of it breaking. I had a misfit shine, but it popped out of the wrist band and was lost. Now, I'm just using the motion sensor in my phone.

If in doubt, throw money at the problem.

I picked up a Fitbit Flex based on the simplicity.
Browsing in Target today I saw a Charge HR which wasn't supposed to be out until January.
So now I'll have a Flex, bride will have an HR (unless she decides the Flex is sleeker, in which case I'll reluctantly swap. :w00t:)

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
The more I read about unavailability of the HR, the more I think Target made a booboo....

I did see an article online that said they were going to release a few to "some" stores and a few to their customers that had signed up to be "notified" before the end of the year.

Sounds like you just got lucky. :thumbup1:

Let us know how you and wife like them. I'd really like to hear how well you think the heart monitor works on the Charge HR.

Turns out....

That I like my Flex but don't like having something on my wrist that doesn't tell time, so I'm wearing a watch and a flex higher up.
My beautiful bride could not get on with the Charge HR so we exchanged for a Fitbit One and she is happy with that.
Now I just need to get more active.

Let us know how you and wife like them. I'd really like to hear how well you think the heart monitor works on the Charge HR.

The HRM seemed to work reasonably well. Baseline resting HR was accurate, definitely increased with increased activity. We never got a chance to test during/after vigorous exercise so afraid I can't really say much about that.

Little late on the reply, but if you want a fitness band that has long term usefulness, check out the mio fuse. I have both the fuse and fitbit charge hr, and to be honest i feel like the fitbit will eventually end up in a drawer unused somewhere. Its neat, its nice to know how im sleeping and my resting heart rate, but heart rate during exercise is horribly innacurate, always about 30-40 bpm lower than actual. This alone really ruins the usefulness of the device. But the silent alarm is a really nice feature, i must admit.

The mio fuse on the other hand is very accurate during both cardio and weightlifting workouts, as good as the strap hrm i tested it with. It has led indicators to tell you at a glance what zone youre in, which is a useful feature. It doesnt track sleep or have silent alarms, but the feature it sells (hrm), it does VERY well.

Perhaps if some software update fixes the charge hr to better track heart rate during workouts, i may change my tune, but as it stands now i cant see myself using it for a very long time.

I used a FitBit flex for several months.

I found the sleep thing was kind of interesting, but not that compelling for me to turn it on/off each night. I used the silent alarm a few times, and that was kind of neat.

I also found I already knew I was plenty active between running three times a week, and waiting tables at night at a second job where I walk somewhere around five to seven miles.

As a result, the FitBit is in a drawer, and I don't miss keeping it charged or fretting about it if I forgot to grab it for a run or going to work.

Looking for guidance on wearable fitness tracker...

The problem I've had with fitness trackers is that there really not accurate. I've had the Fitbit and it wasn't wonderful. Another reason that their not good it because it cannot properly monitor your heart rate, and your heart rate has a huge factor in how many calories you burn. I have a garmin Fenix2 with a heart rate monitor that I wear around my chest. I love it for when I go on runs and workout. It has a lot of options, but it's a little pricey.

I had a Fitbit, had it for a bit then returned it. Worked just fine, but I found it in the end a pointless gadget. I was no more active with it or without. I don't recommend any of them. I personally feel they are a waste of money. If you are interested in a device I recommend a gps watch to track, runs, walks, biking etc.

Agreed 100%...I just wear my phone with music and watch my calories as I do my workouts.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't find that any device motivates me to do more or less. It's just a device.
I do have a fitbit mini and a Mio heart rate monitor watch.
I use the fitbit because I get the weekly updates on best active and least active days, and it helps remind me when I'm trending toward lazy.
The Mio heart rate monitor watch is very accurate and between the two I find that it's much easier to see how much and to what level my activity is trending.

I don't find that any device motivates me to do more or less. It's just a device.
I do have a fitbit mini and a Mio heart rate monitor watch.
I use the fitbit because I get the weekly updates on best active and least active days, and it helps remind me when I'm trending toward lazy.
The Mio heart rate monitor watch is very accurate and between the two I find that it's much easier to see how much and to what level my activity is trending.
I know when I'm getting lazy. ..I see it in my mirror and clothes, I then start eating less calories. 1 slice pizza not 2. I make sure everything is in less portions.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I know when I'm getting lazy. ..I see it in my mirror and clothes, I then start eating less calories. 1 slice pizza not 2. I make sure everything is in less portions.

I know what you mean, but in my personal case, I have a tremendously high metabolism. I can and do eat large quantities just to maintain my weight, (6 foot tall and 155 pounds) so the mirror method is less effective for me.
I weigh 20 pounds more now at the age of 57 than I did at the age of 17.

Re: motivation, the Garmin vivofit has a little feature that can be helpful. If you haven't accumulated meaningful amounts of steps for an hour, a red line appears on the LCD display of the device. It's supposed to prompt you to get off of your duff and get moving. If you stay there, every fifteen minutes after that, it adds another red line on the display. It is a modestly effective approach with me (though it irritates me to no end when it pops up on the weekend).

Top Bottom