What's new

My Wife Wishes To Offer Me A Straight For Christmas : Which One Would You Suggest ?

Hi All,

me again but for another topic.....Looks like I didn't need so much of a push after all.

My wife understood I needed a cure and after I reported the encouragements I received here...she stopped me from placing an order and will take care of it. My first straight will come for Christmas....(stones and strop included)

Which one ? Can I have your suggestions please. No budget inputs from Madame my wife .....

We live in Italy but can collect it in France or in the US ....so let's have real fun gents.:lol:

Thanks in advance for your follow-up. I'll report her (?) :001_cool: choice of course.

Antoine

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Check out the kit the Jarrod has at The Superior Shave ( find "Str8rzr Kit"). You get a strop, coti, and some other goodies along with the ability to choose your razor to go in the kit.

As you can see, lot's to choose from. Perhaps if you close your eyes, picture yourself shaving with a straight, tell us what you see. We'll come up with some more accurate/useful suggestions.

As you can see, lot's to choose from. Perhaps if you close your eyes, picture yourself shaving with a straight, tell us what you see. We'll come up with some more accurate/useful suggestions.

Thanks for all your kind suggestions gents.

I dream of a blade which would cut by wiry beard in 2 passes. I currently need lots of irritating passes to get a clean DE shave and can hardly go ATG without feeling pain. This is number one requirement.

I then see high quality embedded in a superb design....

I drive a German sports car....I would love something conceptually similar to shave :laugh:

I would suggest KK, a European straight maker. This will cut down on the import duties. Koraat Knives. I have not bought one, nor used one but he got a good review on another forum and I am thinking about it...

Everyone has their preferences. Perhaps ask your wife for the razor you would have purchased for yourself...

The Korat blades are beautiful (made in Austria). Revisor, in Germany, is well regarded.... Staying in Europe but a different flavor: Ali's Blades (France) have always caught my eye.
I enjoy my Hart (American) as it's a nice heavy blade. The Portland is considered similar (though a little lighter)
And so on...

Or how about Italian: Mastro Livi. (though they're not going to be cheap)
http://www.mastrolivirazors.com/Eng/razors-on-sale.html

Last edited:
Great advice above, but I've heard less-than desirable feedback on Mastro Livi - I mentioned my own interest in them to a mentor, and there has been more than one returns in my own shaving circle (and they're not cheap, as stated).

I'm only shaving with a str8 (when time permits) since about February, and at a little less than 100 shaves I'd say I've broken the barrier and can say it's better than DE for the smoothness and comfort of the shave alone. You can think of it as a marathon, and there are going to be times when you question why you're bothering, but that comes to pass!

You'll also want to have a few backups on-hand that are also shave-ready, as your beginning technique will almost certainly dull the edge quickly, either through stropping or shaving itself. Perhaps some cheaper razors such as Gold Dollars if you can indeed grab them in the US. They're nothing special to look at, but are rock-solid once they're properly honed.

Best of luck!

Puma is a wonderful, traditional, German blade.

Tell us more. Do you prefer traditional style, or perhaps something more modern?

Puma is a wonderful, traditional, German blade.

Tell us more. Do you prefer traditional style, or perhaps something more modern?

I like both ....and if the virus will get me I'll get both.

Having browsed around a bit I now have a preference for the Thiers Issard and the Filarmonica ....but I still need to learn more.

Everyone has their preferences. Perhaps ask your wife for the razor you would have purchased for yourself...

The Korat blades are beautiful (made in Austria). Revisor, in Germany, is well regarded.... Staying in Europe but a different flavor: Ali's Blades (France) have always caught my eye.
I enjoy my Hart (American) as it's a nice heavy blade. The Portland is considered similar (though a little lighter)
And so on...

Or how about Italian: Mastro Livi. (though they're not going to be cheap)
http://www.mastrolivirazors.com/Eng/razors-on-sale.html

I confess I saw most of his videos on Youtube. He is very proud of his razors and speaks highly of them (too much IMHO). Even though price is not an issue I like to get value for money. My feeling is that "artisan" doesn't always mean high quality and functionality. It's a mechanical device, a precision tool which might also need an industrial approach on top of great artisan skills.

Just the opinion of an ignorant of course.

Last edited:
No need to break the bank on your first razor. Revisor, TI, Boker, you can't go wrong, as long as you start with a shave ready razor. Good luck!

I like both ....and if the virus will get me I'll get both.

Having browsed around a bit I now have a preference for the Thiers Issard and the Filarmonica ....but I still need to learn more.

I have 1 Theirs Issard and 4 Filarmonicas. They are fine razors, but overrated and way over priced in my opinion. You mention you have a course "wirey" beard. Fillis are super hollow ground and most guys with really tough beards prefer heavier grinds. My beard is not 'Mediterranean', but it's pretty course. This is probably why I don't love the Fillis like so many do. Another great German blade you should consider is "J.A. Henckels Friodur" stainless blades and superb shavers.

You mention German engineering, and it reminded me to put my two cents in for a Revisor. Their singing blades in particular will give you that amazing easy shave you are looking for

Top Bottom