What's new

My Wife Wishes To Offer Me A Straight For Christmas : Which One Would You Suggest ?

You do realize this is a trap, right?

Shes getting you something you really want....YOU better be able to counter with something great too!

Probably would have been cheaper to simply buy a Zowada for yourself. You'll be paying for this gift for YEARS if expectations are not met!

:w00t:

You do realize this is a trap, right?

Shes getting you something you really want....YOU better be able to counter with something great too!

Probably would have been cheaper to simply buy a Zowada for yourself. You'll be paying for this gift for YEARS if expectations are not met!

:w00t:

I do, I do :001_smile

What do you guys think about the Revisor rarities ? http://www.revisor-solingen.de/html/raritaten_vorschau.html
I've been looking at their NOS Pumas, but found the price of them to be a bit out of what I'd feel comfortable with. Having said that I've seen others selling NOS Pumas for higher prices. I have two Pumas, not NOS but in good condition. I find them to be very good and I do have a greying barb wire stubble. As a matter of fact the only razors I've got that moves down my stubble more efficiently than Puma are my Heljestrand razors. I've looked and found some NOS Heljestrand at the location below (among them a MK33). Either way NOS Puma or NOS Heljestrand you'll get the very best of razors ever made IMHO.
I wish you and your wife a very merry Christmas. I do hope you'll get the best of razors.

http://www.sliqhaq.se/rakning-rakkniv-c-4_32.html?page=3&sort=5a&vpp=20

Last edited:
Gents...It took me 48 hours to become crazy....and completely virused by these stunning objects. Especially the NOS rarities...!
This is a Puma I have in my radar....Have asked information to Revisor....Can't wait for them to follow-up.
Any expert here to teach me more about it ? What could be the production year of a 89 Puma ?

$Schermata 2014-11-30 alle 15.58.09.jpg

I also asked some information on this NOS 3 Kings Deluxe
$Schermata 2014-11-30 alle 16.02.02.jpg

I don't think I'll wait for Santa Klaus to be in town...:laugh:

Last edited:
simple, slip one under the radar, have the wife buy the other, you will be paying for both in the long run anyway. just send it to a friend have them wrap it and present it as an early Christmas present. be careful and don't let her read this or you are in very hot water. I had to do that with my first wife, thankfully I don't anymore. the new one buys what she wants and I buy what I want. up until Christmas , birthdays ,anniversary, special occasions we buy each other gifts. otherwise we each buy what we want.myself I would pop for the three kings heard they were good razors.

Since budget is not an issue, I'd pick up two Ralf Aust razors. It's very nice to have two razors, one to shave with, if one is out of service for honing. Ralf Aust is a small scale manufacturer (he and his wife, I believe) who makes fine razors at a reasonable price. I've never heard a complaint about a Ralf Aust razor. As they tend to be very "vanilla" off the rack, I'd ask about a matched pair of customs. I believe you'd be very happy with such a purchase.

$knullenrcken2bunthorn123npbh-.jpg

Last edited:
Gents, many thanks for your precious advises, indeed.
The more I read your posts the more I discover a world I'll certainly like very much !
I spent most of the week end browsing websites !

You're in for big pain ....... big pain. Walk away now. :001_smile
[/QUOTE]

Too late....already signed in !

I checked out that website and found the Three Kings to have really caught my eye for around 350 shipped iirc then again you could add a little more money and get a pair of fine shavers. .. the combos and decisions are endless. Best of luck to you as I'm sure that whatever you end up with is going to be mighty fine!

Well if you do not have to worry about a price range I would order a custom from Max Sprecher, he makes some amazing straights! If you are looking for a nice razor for the money I would look at either a Ralf Aust, Wacker, or a nice vintage....Good luck and enjoy whatever you find.

That 3 Kings Delux looks awesome, I would go for that :thumbup:.

I would also suggest buying a cheap one (gold dollar, or unseen) to learn the stroping and honing aspects, once you learn on them you can go and work on the other 50 razors will have by then :w00t:.

Welcome to the rabbit hole, it's a bit crowded but there is always room at the bottom :laugh:.

Hmm. I'd probably get a Seraphim gold dollar mod with scales and jimpwork you like, a kanayama #3 + an Illinois 361 (use the illinois till you're comfortable, then the Kana), and that Les Latneuses combo that's on eBay. Ask Seraph for a Jnat finish, he likes when people do that. NOS vintages are another good choice. You're in a situation you can afford to be picky. Don't compromise and don't buy something just because it's the most expensive (you seem on the right track already).

Hi Gents,

putting your precious advises together I might go for the following choice :

----> 5/8 or 6/8
1) 1 straight razor kit from the Superior shave with a basic Dovo to get started and learn
2) 1 Revisor to alternate
3) 1 Vintage

In my opinion, the first 2 will allow me to get acquainted with this new shaving technique. The 3rd one would be an expensive choice I won't use right away but keep as a "motivator" to persevere. A razor to deserve in few words....

I wouldn't care too much about hollow and learn with whatever I'll get.

After 6 months and in case of successful shaves, honing and stropping, I'll increase my collection and worthily join...... the dark side.

Makes sense ...? :001_huh:

I went with your first option. The kits from TSS have everything you will need basically forever ecvept for more soap. And if you can make it to six months before buying more straights, I'll be amazed. I'd also agree with the suggestions to get a second shave ready straight at or soon after you start. If you start to get unsure about the edge you are using, pull out the unused one. If it's a lot better, you know the first needs honing. If you need to send it out oft honing, you have the second razor to use while it's away. Since you are in Europe, I've heard good things about the invisible edge in the uk, but I have not purchased from them myselfhttp://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/page101.htmlThis page is kits similar to the TSS kits

Hi Gents,

(...)

----> 5/8 or 6/8
1) 1 straight razor kit from the Superior shave with a basic Dovo to get started and learn
2) 1 Revisor to alternate
3) 1 Vintage
(...)

Makes sense ...? :001_huh:

To me it sounds like a good plan. It was very much what I did when I finally took the step from using straights during weekends to seven days a week.

I do recommend you to try to find three razors that behave differently, even if two of them are made today. I own both new, vintage and antique razors. To me new razors generally behave much the same. I'm talking about full hollow 5/8. I've read posts on different forums saying that all German razors today are forged, but not finished, by one manufacturer in Solingen. My personal experience tells me that that seems to be true. If it is true you can very much chose the looks you like best regardless of manufacturer. Vintage razors though are like good wine, they differ a lot between different manufacturers and year of production.

What I also did was to get myself a new better strop that was longer, three inch wide and came with a spare leather side. A good strop is a very good investment IMHO. I bought Whipped Dogs "Rich man's strop" but you can find more glamorous and more expensive alternatives even if I personally doubt that they will add much to the functionality.

Finally (this is really overkill) I decided to do my own honing hence I bought a set of four Naniwa honing stones. Since then I've found great satisfaction in honing my own razors. The reason to why I didn't fully went over to the dark side (as you put it) earlier wasn't the stropping or fear of cutting myself but that I really disliked sending my then only two razors away for honing with them possible being maltreated. Not that I ever got them back in worse condition than I sent them, but once they didn't come back much sharper either. But that is only my personal experience. There are several members in this and other forums that I believe are willing to help you with the honing.

The only thing I, like others above, believe you're wrong about is not getting more razors the coming six months. My guess is that once you get the hang of the basics of straight razor shaving you'll be raising the auction prices for good vintage straights like so many others around here. Yesterday I got a delivery, a nearly mint, beautifully engraved (not etched) Böker from 1893.

I do hope I was able to be of some help to you, and I do hope your Christmas gift will bring you very much joy.
Kind regards
Polarbeard

Well, Christmas was already generous with me.
I had the privilege to get in 3 days more information one could have managed by himself over years.
This forum is a great community and you all are great people.
Thank you indeed.

I'll continue my quest of the Holy Graal...and Yes, already made a decision to acquire...more than 3 razors !

I'll be back soon. Meantime best wishes to you all.

Top Bottom