What's new

Suppliers Personna Pathology Blades for the Durham Duplex?

Not the Ingersol but I use the DD stropper regularly. Pre-stropping Pathology blades just to take the medical slice off them and then stropping before each shave after about 5 shaves on the blade. I go to 7 or 8 shaves. For comparison, 3 DE and it's done, proper done; 5 SE and it's done, proper done.

DD made their own stropper as well? Another piece of kit to look for.

The Ingersoll stropper just arrived today with a Duplex DuBarry. I'll have to track down some instructions online.

Standalone stroppers, too ...

proxy.php

Kamisori-style?

proxy.php

Homemade Kamisori :D

proxy.php

... a world of adventure out there without leaving Durham.

Well, the carpet cutters I got weren't even ArmorEdge. They were Personna, but with a different ID number than the ArmorEdge (the ArmorEdge weren't available at Home Depot in the US when my father-in-law picked these up for me 2 weeks ago). A 10 pack of the blades was about $3 USD with taxes. I think the 100 pack is about $15, so I'll likely invest in one of these.

Another question, though. I picked up a vintage Ingersoll stropper for the DD blades (still en route from that big auction site). Any experience with these in prolonging blade life?

I'm just happy that I've brought the Dorset into use. It's such a beautiful razor, that it just deserves to be used.

I had been using Personna ArmorEdge 61-0417 blades from Home Depot (see more here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/435555-Durham-Dorset). I have since picked up a bunch of vintage DD blades and have found the Personna carpet cutter blades to be sharper. Of course, I believe I've been trying used Durham blades so far. I also picked up a Twinplex stropper designed for Durham blades and it was able to take an ugly, dull vintage blade to SAS-condition. Guess I have more experimentation to do.

I had been using Personna ArmorEdge 61-0417 blades from Home Depot (see more here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/435555-Durham-Dorset). I have since picked up a bunch of vintage DD blades and have found the Personna carpet cutter blades to be sharper. Of course, I believe I've been trying used Durham blades so far. I also picked up a Twinplex stropper designed for Durham blades and it was able to take an ugly, dull vintage blade to SAS-condition. Guess I have more experimentation to do.

Do you have a picture of the Twinplex stropper? I managed to get an Ingersoll stripper, but haven't played with it yet.

I did get the ArmorEdge and agree that they seem better than what I was using. I've now got the 300, DuBarry and Dorset in regular rotation. My folding razor should be here Monday. A new toy to try!

Here is a picture of the stropper with blades for size comparison. The Durham Duplex model is wider to accommodate the larger (than "Gillette-style") blade size.

$twinplex.jpg

Top Bottom