What's new

Plateing on Edwin Jagger DE89Lbl

So I got my EJ DE89Lbl early in October and upon changing my blade today I noticed that the chrome plating is starting to peel off at the top of the side edge of the top plate and exposing the copper/brass below.

Seems a bit premature for the chrome to peel off with less than one month of use.

Perhaps I got a dud? Any ideas, gents?

TIA!:blink:

Contact EJ, they'll probably request a couple of photos, but¨most likely they'll replace the defective part.

Chrome plated Zamak razors don't last forever, but their plating is supposed to hold up a bit longer than a month.

I sent EJ an email as suggested! Thanks!

I guess it's an excuse to upgrade! Any suggestions on a razor of better quality while still being as mild and forgiving as the DE89? Something that I'll still use after a few years even if I change to something more aggressive?

Depends on your budget and if you'd like new or vintage.

If you want new probably a stainless steel razor will be your best bet. If you consider vintage too, you'll have more options and most likely spend less, and still get a good quality and durable razor.

Would prefer new.

Budget? Since I want this to be a single lifetime purchase (as much as upgraditis can be controlled; I'm still splurging on software) say the budget is generous but not unlimited (<$200).

I like the mildness of the DE89, but wouldn't mind a longer handle and/or heavier razor.

The ATT razors are highly regarded by many members here,and it'll surely outlive you.

I'm sure ATT users will give you good advice.

Since you mention $200, I don't think the Feather AS-D2 can be beat. Often available for $170 or less online

Depends on your budget and if you'd like new or vintage.

If you want new probably a stainless steel razor will be your best bet. If you consider vintage too, you'll have more options and most likely spend less, and still get a good quality and durable razor.

Or with a machined aircraft aluminum razor, the Standard Razor, that closely replicates the shave of the DE89.

OP - I was in a similar situation and decided it would be better to just order one nice razor than have to replace them every few years. After what I would deem as extensive research I settled on an ATT razor. I decided to go with the brand new open comb slant head with the atlas handle. Granted, if you want something more moderate you should probably consider the M1 plate (people have described the M2 as being a bit smoother, but it is open comb and obviously YMMV). The slant heads are on preorder so I haven't received mine yet but I look forward to using such a fine piece of machinery.

If you would like to spend less money you could go with a Weber PH (polished head) which is around 75$ but there have been a lot of complaints about issues with the head being "wavy" thus making the razor not seat correctly. As I mentioned previously, I'm relatively inexperienced like you, and I recommend taking the time to read as much as you can, but I settled on an Above The Tie razor and I look forward to using it. Good luck!

Also, as the post above me recommends, I've heard a lot of good things about the Standard Razor. Just as a heads up you can get the black version plus some other goodies from BespokePost right now for $55 (or $45 if you sign up for their monthly box service)

Upgrade to a vintage Gillette. Bullet-proof quality. Brass base and nickel plating, not Zamak. It will outlast you.

I started on a DE89 and really like it. Been using an ATT M1 for the past few days and have definitely been loving it. I have the Weber also but IMHO the ATT M1 has that forgiving character that makes the DE89 such a great razor for us beginners. If you're looking for something comfortable and can afford it I'd recommend the ATT atlas and one of the M baseplates.

Of course EJ ought to take care of you if you got a defective piece and hopefully will.

Last edited:
Eyeing the following:

Weber Classic
Colossus M1
Feather AS-D2

How do these bad boys compare to the EJ DE89? I'm Asian, so my facial hair is finer.

Part of me wants to splurge on the Feather, but the reasonable part of me says to just start with the Weber 'for now'. :devil:

I what respect? Build quality? Shave quality: mild vs. aggressive? Be specific.

Shave quality - Looking for something similar to the DE89; can be a little more aggressive but not by much, I get 3 comfortable passes with the DE89 with little effort.

Build Quality - I thought the DE89 was great, until the plating started to wear away and now I know better. Looking for something that would last a LONGGG time.

Weight - Wouldn't mind a heavier head/handle
Length - Something longer will definitely be helpful

Since you mention $200, I don't think the Feather AS-D2 can be beat. Often available for $170 or less online

I agree with this ^^^^^^!

I started with a comparable mild razor (Merkur 34C) and decided to by an AS-D2. I totally satisfied with the Feather and no longer see the need for another razor, with the 34C as a back-up. I lose control when it comes to soaps and brushes......:thumbup1:

Shave quality - Looking for something similar to the DE89; can be a little more aggressive but not by much, I get 3 comfortable passes with the DE89 with little effort.
Detailed shave quality (aggressiveness) info available here for comparison.

Build Quality - I thought the DE89 was great, until the plating started to wear away and now I know better. Looking for something that would last a LONGGG time.
All three razors on your list are stainless steel and will last a lifetime.

Weight - Wouldn't mind a heavier head/handle.
Most retailers list the razors' weights in the specifications, so comparisons are straightforward.

Length - Something longer will definitely be helpful
Same as above. Lengths are typically listed with the razors's specifications.

Last edited:
Detailed shave quality (aggressiveness) info available here for comparison.

Thanks for the link!

I was looking for subjective thoughts as well as looking at the numbers. Research is also showing that that there may be some quality control issues on the Webers that the numbers would never tell me...

Last edited:
Eyeing the following:

Weber Classic
Colossus M1
Feather AS-D2

I have owned and used all three. If you can get a straight Weber than it is the best value, but I had 3 of them and the only straight one I got the DLC. I feel that the Weber is considerably more aggressive than the EJ and not as forgiving. It can be a great shave, but imo it is not as mild as some on this forum let on. I recently traded my M1 for an AS-D2. Both are very forgiving and mild shavers. I really enjoyed using the M1 but kept coming back to my Tech as my preferred shave. This led me to trading my M1 for the Feather. I think the Feather shaves nearly identical to my techs but it feels nicer to use, to me. If you want to spend money on a one time purchase than I would get the M1, because there are no similar options that are cheaper. If you want to "try" out the AS-D2 that I would buy a vintage tech, which will be cheaper and will still last a lifetime. I also found that the Merkur 33 shaved nearly identical for me to the Weber. I even found that I could switch out the plates and top caps with the 33 and Weber and notice little change. The 33 would be cheaper than the Weber but is made of pot metal like you EJ and would not be expected to last forever.

Last edited:
I have owned and used all three. If you can get a straight Weber than it is the best value, but I had 3 of them and the only straight one I got the DLC. I feel that the Weber is considerably more aggressive than the EJ and not as forgiving. It can be a great shave, but imo it is not as mild as some on this forum let on. I recently traded my M1 for an AS-D2. Both are very forgiving and mild shavers. I really enjoyed using the M1 but kept coming back to my Tech as my preferred shave. This led me to trading my M1 for the Feather. I think the Feather shaves nearly identical to my techs but it feels nicer to use, to me. If you want to spend money on a one time purchase than I would get the M1, because there are no similar options that are cheaper. If you want to "try" out the AS-D2 that I would buy a vintage tech, which will be cheaper and will still last a lifetime. I also found that the Merkur 33 shaved nearly identical for me to the Weber. I even found that I could switch out the plates and top caps with the 33 and Weber and notice little change. The 33 would be cheaper than the Weber but is made of pot metal like you EJ and would not be expected to last forever.

Thank you! I'm leaning toward the M1 especially after reviewing the comparison chart. The AS-D2 may be TOO mild...

I recently traded my M1 for an AS-D2. Both are very forgiving and mild shavers. I really enjoyed using the M1 but kept coming back to my Tech as my preferred shave. This led me to trading my M1 for the Feather. I think the Feather shaves nearly identical to my techs but it feels nicer to use, to me. If you want to spend money on a one time purchase than I would get the M1, because there are no similar options that are cheaper.
Having owned a Feather AS-D2, Gillette Tech Fat Handle pre-war, I agree. The shave from the Tech is nearly identical. it will last as long as the Feather, and it will hold its value...and costs only ~$25 USD for a really nice example.

I have also owned the ATT M1. I found the M1 to be a touch more aggressive than the Tech.

Of all these razors, I presently own and prefer the Muhle R89...fraternal brother to the EJ89 series.

Top Bottom