What's new

Replacing my Merkur Progress. Opinions?

Hi All,
I've been using the Merkur Progress for a year and a half, or so, and I really like it. However, it suffers from uneven blade gap. I contacted Merkur 8 months ago and they sent a new head plate to me, but this has the same problem, and I think I'm giving up on it. Since SWMBO may need some gift ideas for me, I'm thinking about a new razor :001_smile

Previous to this I was using a DE89, but it seems to cause a little too much irritation for my skin. I like the heads of these razors a little more than the Gillette Techs that I have, also.

I use the Progress at about 2.5 and it works perfect for me. Based on the blade gap chart, It looks like a Merkur 34C or 38C might be a good choice. I think these are at the top of my justifiable price range, and I'd prefer these to the thinner handled 23C. And, I think I'd like something new (I have a handful of Gillettes already)

Do those models also have gap inconsistencies, or is that a problem exclusive to the Progress?

I don't know how up to date the gap chart is. Is there anything else around those gap ranges?

Am I living the definition of insanity by going back to Merkur?

Thanks!

IMO, this will give you a much better idea of the modern razors' aggressiveness/efficiency. Blade gap doesn't really tell you the whole story.

I never had any issues with my Progress, and the 34C I used to have always worked flawlessly as well. Both very nice razors, but I prefer the Progress, by a wide margin.

does your progress indeed have uneven blade gap, or does it have uneven blade exposure? ive had 4 progress's so far, one being a vintage one, but all of them didnt seem to have uneven blade gap, but some times there can be more exposure on one side. ive had to find the correct way (fiddling with it a bit) to load the blade to insure its even on both sides. i enjoy the shaves from the progress very much, and 5 days a week its what i reach for. 34c is a great shaver as well, id say close to about a 2 on a progress, ive also had no problems with gap on the 34c.

Ive only had my Progress for a few months, but have had no blade alignment problems, though I know others have experienced this. I assume you load it in the recommended fashion with the top plate down, drop the blade on it, then lower the handle assembly onto it and tighten before turning it to the upright position?
I also think there's been a modification in the Progress recently as my Progress (<1 yr old) has not problem with the number scale. It resets to the correct lowest position every time. Also, unlike older units, you can't adjust the number scale by twisting the shaft as it is now rigid.

I also have the 34C and concur it is a great razor and is roughly equivalent to a Progress at 2. For what it's worth, I find I get closer (BBS) shaves with my Progress in a 1/3 progression of settings than I can get with my 34C.

After I place a blade in my Progress, when the threads just barely start to engage when I begin tightening, I look closely at both sides of the head to see if the blade is centered and the gap/exposure is even and the same on both sides. Sometimes it is a little off. I nudge the blade (by the ends, not the sharpened edge) to get it aligned right, and hold the head down so it will remain aligned while I tighten down all the way.

I have never had any issues with the 3 Progresses I have. I haven't heard too many folks complaining about this issue. You might want to consider getting a used one on the BST or placing a WTB ad to try another.

The Weber PH would be a good option as would the 34C.
The Ikon Shavecraft 102 Slant is also a possibility as would the vintage Gillette Slim or Fatboy if you want an adjustable.
Best of luck.

I, personally, get a better, and more smooth and comfortable shave from the Merkur, slant, 37C. I suspect this is not the case with many others. I always shaved with my Progress set the same or lighter setting than you, but I had to be more careful and it was rougher than the 37C, and did not shave any closer.

Happy Holidays, Ron I

I'm assuming you are actually installing the top properly using the alignment arrow and cap knotch? If not, then yes things will not work properly including the setting scale.

$image.jpg

Last edited:
does your progress indeed have uneven blade gap, or does it have uneven blade exposure? ive had 4 progress's so far, one being a vintage one, but all of them didnt seem to have uneven blade gap, but some times there can be more exposure on one side. ive had to find the correct way (fiddling with it a bit) to load the blade to insure its even on both sides. i enjoy the shaves from the progress very much, and 5 days a week its what i reach for. 34c is a great shaver as well, id say close to about a 2 on a progress, ive also had no problems with gap on the 34c.

Agree. Are you certain it is assembled correctly? I believe there is a mark on one end of the cap and a mark on one end of the baseplate, and these marks must be on the same end of the razor. How does the razor shave? If ok I would keep the razor.

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions!

Thanks Nuclearblast for the link to that chart. I hadn't seen that one :)

Forrestgump is correct. It is uneven blade exposure that is my problem, not uneven gap. As you and Chumango have both mentioned, I do have to fiddle with it once I get the blade on it. It's not very obvious just by looking at it, and it's hit or miss as to whether or not I get it correct. I have grown weary of trying, though.

Yes, I do have it assembled correctly :) It only took once to know what it feels like when it's wrong, hehe. Thanks for the reminder, though!

I'm sure I could live with it as-is, but you know...there's always an itch to improve something that's not quite right. Maybe I'll just live with it, or maybe I SHOULD revisit my DE89.

I do appreciate all your responses, though. Thank you!

Sax

Top Bottom