What's new

Realization last night

The angle of the blade has made a difference for me, but no matter what, under my jaw I always get about a half dozen nicks and cuts. The razor can never lie flat in this area, and so it's difficult to shave.

I've been thinking that maybe I should put my chin down instead of tilting my head back. I've run my hand over that area and it seems that it is much more approachable this way. I'll try it in a few days, does anyone else shave under the jaw this way?

I had to experiment on my neck until I got the technique right for me. My big issue was blade angle. I now pull up with my thumb under the jaw by my ear to stretch the skin, do one side and then the other. First pass WTG, second pass XTG and then light clean up under the jaw line. Now the entire area under my jaw is the easiest to shave and rarely receives a cut or irritation.

"put my chin down instead of tilting my head back". Yup - it's the shaver's version of "if the mountain won't come to me then I must travel to mountain" as Mad Man notes above "do what works".

Try less pressure and different line of attack. Go east to west or south to north. Your beard on that area might grow different than the rest of your face.

There are many well-known rules of wetshaving, like tilting the head back and stretching the skin taut to get under the chin.

The most important thing I've found about wetshaving is that the rules aren't rules at all, but they're great suggestions of what to try -- often the exact opposite of a rule works best.

Top Bottom