What's new

Stanwell Featherweights?

Does anyone have one of the Stanwell Featherweight pipes? I'm considering a 245 (poker) in black sandblast. I see pipes and cigars has them on sale for $75 at the moment, and am close to pulling the trigger, but thought I'd ask for a second opinion.

Decent pipes, or should I wait until I've got a bit more scratch for something nicer? I'm wanting a poker/cherrywood, ideally in some sort of dark/black rustic finish, and this seems to fit the bill.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I'm afraid I don't have a Featherweight, so I can't directly answer your question. But Stanwells in general have a very good reputation, and the four Brushed Blacks I have are quality pipes. They're $25 cheaper than a Featherweight, so I'd expect the Featherweight to be a step up in quality. I'd go for it.

$20141127_115835.jpg

I have heard nothing but great things about the Stanwell Featherweights. But if you're looking for a poker/cherrywood, you might want to check out Chris Morgan's new line of pipes, The Black Jack. He's having a Black Friday sale for 25% off the cherrywood that comes in smooth or sandblasted.

http://www.morganpipes.com/black-jack-pipes.html

The promotion code is "blackjackfriday14"

He's an artisan pipe maker but has introduced this BlackJack line this month. This deal is good for this Thursday and Friday.

I'm not a huge cherrywood fan, but that Black Jack is a handsome pipe.

ETA: To the original question in the post I've got a Featherweight and it's smoked regularly. It smokes fine and I got it for a price that I don't have to worry about beating it up if I'm smoking it while doing something. I wasn't impressed with the first smoke out of it, but after ditching the Stanwell filter I was much happier. The finish wasn't the best. Whatever they put on it came off on my hand the first couple of smokes.

If you want a Featherweight be patient and spend some time trolling Cigarbid. I picked mine up for $36 if memory serves.

Last edited:
Well, I tried to order a Featherweight 245 from pipes and cigars this morning, only to find they don't appear to ship to Canada.

Now trying to decide between paying more for it from another vendor, or choosing a different pipe. That black jack looks great, so it's in the running. Also been looking at the Savinelli 388, the Stanwell 207, Savinelli 310, and a few others.

Top Bottom