What's new

First shave with an Old Type

Wow, what a difference from my regular daily drivers! Compared to my Merkur Futur and my Ikon DLC Slant using the Old Type felt like shaving with a toothpick! Great little shaver, though. Really no complaints. I feel like I got BBS on my face but not so great on my neck. I think that's most likely me not being used to such a slender razor head and not having the angle quite right. Practice makes perfect! Also I noticed no issues with the Feather blade I had loaded in it. I was advised to use a more mild blade by the gent that I got it from but I forged ahead anyway and was glad I did.

All in all a fine addition to my slowly growing collection.

Serves me right for trying to be descriptive... :001_smile

:laugh:

Congrats on the addition to your collection. Old Types are very nice razors, a bit underrated too, IMO.

On your neck you could try a steeper angle (handle more parallel to the face), it works for me at least. They won't allow an angle as steep as the R41 for example, but they're not limited to shallow angles either.

I like the shave as well as my NEW shaves. Can't really tell the difference between the shaves to be honest. I like how you feel all blade and not so much the head of the razor like with my Slims. The Old Type is in my regular rotation.

I quickly learned to love the Old Type, great little unit. I've sinced swapped out the base plates and created 'Old Yuma', man there's some serious echo going on now!
$20141127_165301.jpg

The Old is an agile instrument, more a scalpel than an axe. Switching between it and an bulky contemporary razors or a SuperSpeed is between a sports car and a truck. It packs alot of knockdown power too.. alot of blade there to do things with . I think its well designed and that later Gillette models cater to convenience rather than shaving elegance.

Top Bottom