What's new

Need some advice guys. Please help.

I came here looking for a solution. After I shave, then under my jaw line and my entire neck is very itchy. The skin in these area isn't in no way dry.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Tommy Bessinger

Hi Tommy.

What sort of razor and blade combo do you use, what is your routine and products? That sort of thing can help people shoot in the right direction with help.

Bear in mind, there is not often a magic bullet that will work first time, every time. It might be that you'll need to try a number of different suggested solutions till you find one that works - eliminating the issue but still keeping your visage shorn

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
I'm wondering about soaps you may use to generally clean your face and then the specific shaving soaps. Also wondering about prep and aftershave. How slowly do you shave? How lightly are you using the blade? Any info?

I've been using Nivea Sensitive AS Balm, and I generally get a mild itching for a while, but it goes away, and there is no redness, so I assume there's not a problem, and it's just a "healing" feeling. I use the balm because of (1) it does soothe any adverse results of my sometimes-less-than-perfect technique and (2) the dry winter air. I expect to return to splashes after my technique is improved and winter is over (eagerly anticipating both).

Does your itching last a long time? What AS product(s) are you using?

Sounds like it might be a slight case of razor burn? It could be irritated without being red.

If that is the case then fixing it depends a lot on what your doing that needs changing. We'll need to know what soap, razor and blade you're using and if you use any prep and how many passes you do in what directions?

If your lather is to dry then you might not be getting enough lubrication.

You might need to prep your face with a warm wet washcloth or shave after you shower(I shave after I shower).

It could also depend on what blade/razor combination you need which also effects how many passes are needed.
I'd try a couple of the sharper blades and possible a more aggressive razor so you wouldn't need to do as many passes.

It will take some trial and error but with some info we may be able to cut the time down for you.

One thing I'm not sure about but it kinda sounds like, is after shaving I think some guys just do a cold water rinse and apply aftershave. But one has to remember that soap needs a hot water rinse to actually get all the residue off before your final refreshing cold water splash. Forgive me of I'm wrong but in most descriptions of techniques I don't hear this step to often.

Map your beard on your lower jawline & neck. Hair has a tendency to grow 'crooked' there. Mine for instance requires that the first pass go from the center out towards the sides at a descending 45 degree angle. And also what i have learned is to try to really put enough water into the lather mix. If it's on the dry side, it could become somewhat pasty before you get around to your neck (assuming that you attack that area after the upper regions).

I always do a warm water rinse, a couple of cold water splashes, a good witch hazel splash/rub (I love witch hazel), and then an after shave splash. Always leaves my face feeling great.

Lots of lubricant under the blade. I use alum after my cold rinse, then wash it off after a minute or so and then apply a balm. For under my jaw line, I go north/south and south/north. East/west, west/east leaves a irritation. Good luck.

Have you ever done the dishes and rinsed them in cold water?

I have indeed - it's really not good at all. But then I don't shave with cooked grease and dish detergent. A wee bit of soap on the face can easily be washed off with cold water as it can with hot. At least from my face........

Edited to add - I don't want to be contrary, but I just want to have some science behind such a definite statement

Last edited:
Your skin could be dehydrated, even if it isnt dry. I frequently have dehydrated yet oily skin and feel that itching sensation following shaving, or many times even after just washing with soap and water.

I can't give you science as I'm no scientist. I can just say that for me I find that rinsing of soap in cold water doesn't work.

Plenty of great advise so far. One thing i found when i started wet-shaving, was i felt a similar irritated and itchy feeling on my neck, and found it had largely to do with not having enough water in my lather, and so it would literally dry my skin. Dry-ish lather causes the razor to not glide as much and rather causes friction and finally...irritation.
The lather may 'look' alright as you use it now, but may be worth getting a little bit more moisture in there.
Also BONUS idea: try adding some glycerine into your lather - just a couple of drops, for more lubrication.

Finding a good and soothing after shave is also key. I personally love the Proraso splash on aftershave. i know there are many others other there that are expensive etc, and i honestly haven't tried many, but as soon as i tried that one, i had found 'the one' for me ;)
So soothing and refreshing.

Top Bottom