What's new

a small goldfish

Anyone know this stone? I liked the name and the box. but I never heard of it before. Looks a little like one of my bbw. But it feels harder. Haven't used it enough to say anything for sure but it feels hard and fine.

So far I like it but I'm not sure I would've bought it had it not been in the box. $20141127_105100.jpg$20141127_104935.jpg$20141127_112647.jpg$20141127_111239.jpg

I've never gotten my hands on one. I think Hatzicho is the guy to ask about them. As I recall they're not thuringians, but they're mined nearby and, don't take my word for it, but I THINK they can be used with oil. I've tried a time or two to snag one, but someone always snipes me out on them.

Hi no bought it from a local in Denmark. I'll post what's it's like once I get to know it a little better. I should have time to use it some more this weekend.

Just from reading the bit on the right hand side (give me a closer shot and I can translate more) it says that it can be used with oil or water.

$20141127_132110.jpg my german isn't the best but I think it says that it's a natural whetstone that can be used with water or oil. I can't really make out the rest but something about all knives and tools. Probably cutting tools

"The Goldfish wet stone is a natural hone and can be used with water or oil. By applying the latter (in this case, oil), one obtains a very fine, lasting and sharp cutting edge. Excellent for all types of knife, instruments as well as tools."

Of course, it is the info from the maker. In the other section they say it is the best wetstone in the world................. :w00t:

"The Goldfish wet stone is a natural hone and can be used with water or oil. By applying the latter (in this case, oil), one obtains a very fine, lasting and sharp cutting edge. Excellent for all types of knife, instruments as well as tools."

Of course, it is the info from the maker. In the other section they say it is the best wetstone in the world................. :w00t:

Very good translation! are you german?

I`am not done with testing mine, but it puts a really nice edge on razors with water, and a little bit finer with oil.
They seem to be some kind of the mysterious Voginesse stones, a not completely solved mystery where they are from.
Somewhere comparable to the special stones especially the purple LaLune.
Sometimes they where sold as Fox Razor hones too. They are discussed in some threads in SRP and so on.

Heres a pic of my Goldfish.

proxy.php

Greetings Sebastian.

Yeah the alps are really a great place to stay! The austrians are one of the coolest guys out there.........

Sometimes they pop up on the bay, but seems to be really rare, the last one i watched went away for 211€.

Greets Sebastian.

The origin of these hones is somewhat obscure. These red hones are not thuringian waterhones but look and act like some french labeled hones, for example the Pierre Lorraine rouge.
However, where these hones really come from is not clear right now. Ther german company that sells these hones also sold thuringian hones with the same specific company logo.

The hones were exportet and relabelled as Fox hones. Sometimes the new Fox label was glued over the old Goldfisch label.
$Unbenannt 2.jpg

However - to get even more confusion, there are also labelled Fox hones with the No. 44 that are thuringians.

Anyway, these red stones are interesting finishers, but act completely different than thuris. The one I have is a relatively fast and fine hone. Could be used with oil and is getting finer.

However - to get even more confusion, there are also labelled Fox hones with the No. 44 that are thuringians.

Yep. The No. 44 extra softs are very good stones. I had one for a while and Scott has had two of them I believe.

Here's a pic of it.

Wow $250+ for one? I've watched a half dozen of them end in the $50-100 range because I won't pay more than the going rate on Thuri's for one.

Wow $250+ for one? I've watched a half dozen of them end in the $50-100 range because I won't pay more than the going rate on Thuri's for one.

This is quite crazy, i bought mine (absolutely NOS, perfect condition)about 1 month bevore this auction and pay "Just" 80€. No snap but ok. The one that fetched 211€ was in good condition, but far away from a NOS stone.

Otherwise the best hones i got from the bay or on fleamarkets are the ones that are well worn.... I think because they where good. When i bought hones from one source, the ones that are totally dished are almost the best.

Greets Sebastian.

Yeah, I mostly watch ones missing labels, but same stone, same box, pretty easy stone to ID. Not too many 4x1.5" stones in preen boxes out there. I suspect maybe that price jump was someone thinking it's a La Lune under a different label and thus was related to how those stones exploded in price this year.

Probably some more information to add...the stones are autoslurrying very fast....

For me these look, feel and smell like a very fine sandstone...

They appeared as mentioned as:

1. Goldfisch Wetzstein
2. Fox Hone
3. La Lorraine with a Landscape and a house near the woods
4. la Lorraine Rouge marque M.P.O.P. with a red label
5. unbranded (Best Hone in the World) and unlabelled

Here are mine:

Best Hone in the World:
proxy.php

Unlabelled:
proxy.php

I know that Henk referred also to the Rouge Du Salm in his grinding and Honing Part 4 and wrote that theyre quite Shure that the Lorraine is the same stone as the Rouge Du Salm....

Last edited:
Top Bottom