What's new

shaving ATG wont get rid of stubble, please help!

Okay so I've been wet shaving for 5 months now. A brief history; I started with a merkur 34c with feather blades but I realized it was way too mild for me as I shaved across the grain it would drag and pull which caused my face to burn. I recently bought a Merkur Slant Bar with a feather blade and it shaves perfectly, however I still get the problem with the remaining stubble it just wont go away. Products that I'm using are proraso shaving soap with green tea and oat, a 15$ badger brush (although I don't think thats the problem) and Nivia sensitive skin shave balm. I usually take a hot shower first while my brush is soaking in my mug, I make a lather and shave WTG, XTG and then ATG but its just not getting rid of the stubble, please help!

What I do go get that stubborn stubble is on my third pass (the one where I go ATG), I use very precise, shortened strokes. I also have lather on my free hand and kind of follow behind my strokes, feeling my face for stubble and paying attention to the growth direction, relathering in that spot, and then shaving it some more. This usually leaves any trouble spots silky smooth.

I had a similar problem until I went with a more aggressive razor. For me to get BBS I need to use an agressive razor with a smooth blade, 2011 R41, Merkur Futur, ATT or Joris. I used use the same slant you have but still could not get the last stubble. Good prep is key along with no pressure and the right angle for me when going aggressive.

What I do go get that stubborn stubble is on my third pass (the one where I go ATG), I use very precise, shortened strokes. I also have lather on my free hand and kind of follow behind my strokes, feeling my face for stubble and paying attention to the growth direction, relathering in that spot, and then shaving it some more. This usually leaves any trouble spots silky smooth.

Ill try this but I fear that my skin might not be able to handle it since I have pretty sensitive skin

I have a similar issue, mainly along my jawline and the edges of my neck growth below by ears on each side. A normal 3 pass shave gets everything else smooth, but those spots will still have slight stubble. I'm using a Parker 90R, which I believe is on the mild side, paired with Feathers.

I've been using the short, precise strokes to take care of it, "blade buffing" I think it's called. It seems to work really well, just make sure you're not applying any pressure and you keep your face wet. I make lather in a bowl, and at the end of my third pass, I squeeze the brush with my hand to get some of the uber-rich lather that's held in the brush. I wipe it from my hand to the edge of the bowl so I can use my finger to snag a dollop and spread it on my face as I touch up. If I keep the lather on my hand while I shave I end up getting it all over myself. Haha.

This works for me and irritation is minimal if I make a conscious effort to keep my face wet and don't take the blade to any spot that doesn't have lather on it. I never considered myself to have sensitive skin, but if I go over any area without water and lather on my face, even just touching up, it's bad news.

As always, YMMV, and I'm also pretty new so take my advice with a grain of salt. It works for me, though, so perhaps it will work for you.

I have a similar issue, mainly along my jawline and the edges of my neck growth below by ears on each side. A normal 3 pass shave gets everything else smooth, but those spots will still have slight stubble. I'm using a Parker 90R, which I believe is on the mild side, paired with Feathers.

I've been using the short, precise strokes to take care of it, "blade buffing" I think it's called. It seems to work really well, just make sure you're not applying any pressure and you keep your face wet. I make lather in a bowl, and at the end of my third pass, I squeeze the brush with my hand to get some of the uber-rich lather that's held in the brush. I wipe it from my hand to the edge of the bowl so I can use my finger to snag a dollop and spread it on my face as I touch up. If I keep the lather on my hand while I shave I end up getting it all over myself. Haha.

This works for me and irritation is minimal if I make a conscious effort to keep my face wet and don't take the blade to any spot that doesn't have lather on it. I never considered myself to have sensitive skin, but if I go over any area without water and lather on my face, even just touching up, it's bad news.

As always, YMMV, and I'm also pretty new so take my advice with a grain of salt. It works for me, though, so perhaps it will work for you.

This is well thought out and descriptive. I use a similar technique. Be careful not to overdo it however. BBS is great, near BBS and comfortable is better for me.

Top Bottom