What's new

Wolf Whiskers

I received my brush, and had to give it a quick inaugural lather.

$FullSizeRender-11.jpg

$FullSizeRender-12.jpg

$FullSizeRender-13.jpg

Look at that initial bloom! It puffs out perfectly. It speaks both to the solid quality of the knot and the knot placement. Tons and tons of lather sprang forth easily from the knot. Good density and even better flow-through. Side by side with my TGN Finest Fan XH (which is an identical 24mm knot set at 49mm), this Shavemac finest is noticeably denser, softer, and creates more lather, all while maintaining excellent backbone. Not that this is a surprise, the Shavemac is a better and more expensive knot.

The handle itself is perfect. This Julie shape is a winner. The curvature molds very nicely into my hand, and the heft is quite surprising. The height is great. I find some of the traditional shapes to be a bit to stubby and short for my preference, but my Rubberset 400 can sometimes seem a bit too tall.

I can't wait to see everyone else's WW as they come in. I stole the Julie shape from someone, and the black/violet color from Shave Rat. Can't wait to steal more ideas for my next WW brush!

Peter just sent me the finished pictures of my 2nd brush. I present to you, "The Chalice".
$DSC_0316.jpg$DSC_0317.jpg$DSC_0314.jpg$DSC_0315.jpg$DSC_0318.jpg

Holy excited! This turned out better than I even imagined it would. Peter is a master craftsman, and his work shows it. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THIS IN!!

Mattdenicola, that post bloom shot is fantastic. It compliments the Julie shape perfectly. I really like my Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band, but I still like the D01 3-Band just a tad more. My Chalice has a 24mm D01 3-Band and I can't wait to use it. The Alveare from earlier in the thread has a 22mm 2-Band TGN Finest. For the price, the TGN Finest is a really good value.

Shave Rat, that brush is sweet, I'm really digging the black/violet the more I see it. Congrats.

Steve - love the Chalice. And the resin is flat out gorgeous. Do you know if that was a blank he poured, or if it came pre-made?

Last edited:
That's a faux horn blank he got in Europe. I think Peter brought back a few exotic blanks from when he was deployed. You'd have to ask Peter if he has more of the faux horn though.

Some great examples of WW brushes. Peter really does do a fantastic job turning these handles. My newest WW brush once Pete was back- I told Pete the 2-Band Silvertip Shavemac knot is like lathering up with soft, fluffy kittens on the end of my brush. Here it is:

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 453
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 454
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 452
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 455
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 455
That handle stock reminds me of a snow leopard. I like how the pattern is really different as you turn the brush.

Really like that shape. The angle on the bottom ridge is particularly beautiful, I think, and the gray really highlights it. It is reminiscent of mokume game, but WW style, and on fire! Great brush.

All these brushes look awesome. I want to send him my Plisson knot so he can do one for me, but I have no idea how to safely remove it. Can anybody offer suggestions?

I was also thinking about getting one of his knots but , I have no idea if I should get a shavemac or Tgn or what knot size /loft . I primarily bowl lather. Can you gentlemen offer any suggestions?

I was also thinking about getting one of his knots but , I have no idea if I should get a shavemac or Tgn or what knot size /loft . I primarily bowl lather. Can you gentlemen offer any suggestions?

Send your questions to Peter. He is very quick to respond, easy to work with, and will steer you in the right direction.

Really like that shape. The angle on the bottom ridge is particularly beautiful, I think, and the gray really highlights it. It is reminiscent of mokume game, but WW style, and on fire! Great brush.

Thanks. I took the bob style handle and slighty changed it and sent him the pic to do. The colors i also picked and its inspiration was my dog who is mostly grey :)

Here is my WW. Comfortable handle in blueberry pie material with a TGN synthetic knot. Here it is in action with some Mystic Waters.
$IMG_20141222_074117~2.jpg$IMG_20141222_074748~2.jpg$IMG_20141222_074833~2.jpg

Send your questions to Peter. He is very quick to respond, easy to work with, and will steer you in the right direction.
You were exactly right. Peter is awesome to deal with. I just ordered one of his awesome brushes . I'll post pics when it arrives

That gray coloring is awesome. Reminds me of smoked glass. The tweak you made to the 'Bob' is pretty sweet too. I'm pretty sure, visually, I like your style better than my 'Bob', but how does it feel in hand...or have you actually laid hands on it yet?

My 2 new brushes should be here tomorrow. Talk about a Christmas miracle. I'm thinking of holding off my shave tomorrow until they arrive.

God, all of them are great looking, but I am particularly enamored by the Chalice. Steve - you're one lucky guy.

That gray coloring is awesome. Reminds me of smoked glass. The tweak you made to the 'Bob' is pretty sweet too. I'm pretty sure, visually, I like your style better than my 'Bob', but how does it feel in hand...or have you actually laid hands on it yet?

My 2 new brushes should be here tomorrow. Talk about a Christmas miracle. I'm thinking of holding off my shave tomorrow until they arrive.
Dont have it in hand but i had one of his original brushes with bob handle. I tried to design something similar and thats what i came up with. It does look great and hopefully it comes in tomorrow

What a great way to celebrate Christmas Eve! Went to the mailbox this morning and saw that Santa arrived early. Here's a couple shots of my new additions (post bloom).

$DSC_1296.jpg$DSC_1301.jpg

I used the Chalice for my SOTD and it was quite nice. The Shavemac D01 knot is quite dense and scrubby (just like my other D01) knots) and the handle ergonomics are mighty fine. I'm a face latherer, but this shape would be great for bowl users as well. I'm very happy with it.

The Alveare (Bee Hive) shape feels perfect for face lathering. I'm going to give that one a go tomorrow, but I did a couple palm lathers to defunk the brush and the TGN knot is very soft. The tips appear to be of the curly variety, which is always welcome.

Peter outdid himself again. I'm very pleased!

Top Bottom