What's new

Is this a Gillette New #77?

Over on the thread about interesting Ebay finds a comment was made regarding a rare Gillette New known as a #77.

I thought I might have one so rather than hijack the Ebay thread I thought I would start another one asking the question. I'm interested to find out how to determine if it is or isn't a #77. Any suggestions?

This was an antique store find and it was the second DE I bought.

$1930s-2_zps223787a0.jpg$1930s-1_zps446e8068.jpg

HOLY SMOKES ... :w00t::ohmy::001_tt1:

I have never seen one in such a beautiful condition. That is what we've been calling the Canadian #77, but apparently they called it Regent, I've never seen the shipper of this set before.

Wow ... thanks for sharing, absolutely stunning. [emoji106]

Which confirms what I've said before, someone started calling this the Canadian #77 because it kinda looks like a UK #77, but the name didn't come from Gillette.

Wow again ... This gets my vote for the post of the year here in the DE sub-forum ( oops, just realized this is in the General Shaving Forum). I'm not even posting the picture of my razor ... it would be embarrassing. :lol:

Answering your question, your razor is not a #77. They are somewhat similar though. Most #77 came in a brown bakelite case, but there was a green bakelite case too:

proxy.php

They were all made in England and were silver plated, there was no gold version of the #77, and they're all 2 piece razors.

These English #77 sets in the green bakelite case are fairly rare, your set might be even rarer.

Last edited:
Stunning razor! Very nice antique store find!!

Edgar, I actually have one of those green cased 77's in for repair right now[emoji106]
I might know who's the owner but I'm not sure.

The razor is the same as all the other #77/88, the green case itself is fairly rare.

Can't wait to see the pics then. :thumbsup:

This thread would get more attention in the DE sub-forum, methinks ...

Thanks for all your comments and for your suggestion. I've asked to have the thread moved.

With respect to the razor, I can look at the serial number and report back later tonight after I get home if that would help positively identify it. If I remember correctly the serial number didn't seem to help me much when I was first trying to learn about it.

Mind you, I was having a hard time figuring out what OC meant and the difference between LC and SC at the time, so there's that.

Thanks for all your comments and for your suggestion. I've asked to have the thread moved.

With respect to the razor, I can look at the serial number and report back later tonight after I get home if that would help positively identify it. If I remember correctly the serial number didn't seem to help me much when I was first trying to learn about it.

Mind you, I was having a hard time figuring out what OC meant and the difference between LC and SC at the time, so there's that.

I assume you mean the patent dates stamped on the base plate, not an actual serial #? The patent dates are probably these:

PATENTED 1920 - 1926 - 1929 - 1931
OTHER PATENTS PENDING

proxy.php

Your shipper says ''Regent'', IMO it's clear that's the name Gillette gave to this set, not Canadian #77 as we assumed until now.

A fantastic score for sure, these are not common razors, let alone with their original case and shipper.

Now that's а great find! Congrats! :thumbup1:
Absolutely amazing!
Now we definitely need moar close photos.

Not only it looks exactly like #77 but so does the case of the set. Hence the name it got.

Last edited:
I will take some better photos on the weekend and post them on this thread. I'll take some photos of the shipper too. I wish they were still $1 *sigh*

Mr. Razor has this set identified as a #77.
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1933 Gillette No77 Canadian green bakelite.jpg

As Edgar pointed out, however, the shipper carries the name of the set. So, if it says "The Regent," then that is what it is. I understand the theory that this Canadian set is called #77 because it looks like the English #77, but I wonder if some of them were not sold with #77 shippers.
Moreover, I would like to hear from Achim or other experts as to why they call this razor a #77.

BTW, deacon, that is one crazy awesome find in the wild!:w00t:

Moreover, I would like to hear from Achim or other experts as to why they call this razor a #77.

I have to say, if one of these shippers was seen before, here or elsewhere on the interwebs, it's well hidden for sure.

I searched all over the place and I've never seen one.

I'm NOT saying one has never been seen before, I'm saying I've wasted countless hours searching for more info on these razors and found nothing.

I vote we call it Regent #77. :tongue_sm

Last edited:
or call it NEW Canadian Regent, and call his NEW Canadian Regent Set. but im sure most will still refer to it as the canadian #77 or until Regent #77 or Canadian Regent catches on

Mr. Razor has this set identified as a #77.
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1933 Gillette No77 Canadian green bakelite.jpg

As Edgar pointed out, however, the shipper carries the name of the set. So, if it says "The Regent," then that is what it is. I understand the theory that this Canadian set is called #77 because it looks like the English #77, but I wonder if some of them were not sold with #77 shippers.

BTW, deacon, that is one crazy awesome find in the wild!:w00t:

the name "Canadian #77 gold" was born in a old thread, when Scott shows his set, that you can see on my site. Maybe because he comes in a bakelite case like the #77 case. I think now, many years later we know the right name of this rare set: Canadian NEW Regent

Great find!

Last edited:
Top Bottom