What's new

How much tape on a wedge?

How many layers do you use?
I'm using 3M electrical tape and with 3 layers the bevel is about 1/8" wide and with 4 it is about 1/16". I started with 1 and the scratch pattern was almost a quarter inch wide and not even meeting at a bevel. This thing looks like a "three angle valve job" now.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I've got one like this. My guess is that it was free handed. I've been up to 5 layers and still not got intersecting planes. I tossed it in my junk drawer.

David

In my case, because I don't want to put that much time in that particular razor. It has a looong way to go.

David

I've dropped down to as low as a dmt 325. I know it's doable, I just have other things I'd rather do at the moment. Here's a pic of the blade I'm speaking of. It's been in the drawer a while so it's starting to rust a bit. It was a buck at a flea market.
Didn't mean to piggyback your thread aephilli

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 63
big bevels need loving too!

why not run it through 1 layer until it does get a bevel?

I really try not to use more than 1 layer or tape, I hate the feel and the more layers the more it compresses and the harder to get a good edge.

Measure - calculate the bevel angle. Start there so you know what you're dealing with.
Absolutely, unless it call for it don't use more than 1 layer.

I've dropped down to as low as a dmt 325. I know it's doable, I just have other things I'd rather do at the moment. Here's a pic of the blade I'm speaking of. It's been in the drawer a while so it's starting to rust a bit. It was a buck at a flea market.
Didn't mean to piggyback your thread aephilli

Looks like mine that is in my junk drawer:
$tape2.jpg

I've been thinking about a metal clip, kinda like the guard on a Weck to use instead of tape. Saw somewhere someone used modified binder clips.

Top Bottom