What's new

What to do with $150 at TAOS

After years of using disposables, a friend got me a starter set at TAOS for Christmas about three years ago, beginning my journey into proper wet shaving. Not too long after that, I bought a double-edge (a cheap-ish Merkur purchased at the local barber supply; it looks like a 15c, but with a longer handle), and I've been using it for almost two years. I've really grown to like it; I tried a Shark blade in it yesterday and was amazed at how close my shave was.

Here's the dilemma: I've probably a couple of months' worth of TAOS oil, cream, and balm on-hand as it is. I've since discovered a shave shop here in town (Carwin's Shave Shop)that has a very nice selection of products, well beyond TAOS's own line. I've found several things I like better (and they're cheaper to boot, which is saying something), and will be buying my stuff there from here out.

The dilemma: I've accumulated $150 worth of gift cards from TAOS, and I don't know what to do with them. I don't need supplies, so I'm looking at durable goods. TAOS has a lousy selection of blades, so that's out. I do need a razor stand, but they only appear to have two that are made for safety razors. I'd consider that, but they store the razor head-down; I've never seen anybody else do that, and it seems like it would encourage water to pool inside the razor instead of draining (I dry my razor, but I don't dismantle it). Any thoughts on that? I've thought about trying a straight for years; their Theirs-Issard might be a good start, if it's a decent blade.

I don't mind contributing a few dollars more to make up the balance, but I'm not interested in adding a bunch of money to buy something that I could get elsewhere for not much more than I'd have to add to match their prices. Any thoughts? What would you buy?

a razor would drain better head down. when i use my slim, i clean it gently with a toothbrush and palmolive, then after towel drying it off ill open the doors and stand it on its head for a couple hours. as with most razors water will tend to go down the hole in the baseplate, and standing it on its head will help ensure draining it. id prefer a razor stand that held razors upright, but actually one holding them downward would dry them out better. with three piece razors, i would dry the razor off with a towel before i put it in the stand.

If there any AOS items you might like, hold onto your gift cards until they run a 20% off sale. Usually twice a year.
Not sure, but the gift card may be valid on penhaligon cologne, so you could have another option.
last option, re gift the card to a deserving gent among your family or friends! Then you'll gain another wet shaving pal! Priceless!

Yeah, if it were me I'd wait for the 20% off sale and stock up on their sandlewood soap and aftershave. That's still a lot of soap and aftershave though and maybe more than you need. Penhaligon's is nice but they don't carry the scent that I really like at AOS, still some of the others are nice as well.

The hardware there is priced a bit higher than you could find it elsewhere but those straights are definitely nice. Do know that if you are going to buy a straight or a de razor that the 20% off sale doesn't apply to those items so no sense waiting if you take that route.
While the sales are limited I would think that the gift cards will spend just like cash, so I wouldn't think that would hold you back.

It's a nice problem to have.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Hmm, I wish I had your problems. Anywho, if I were you, I'd kick the gift cards towards: 1. another razor. That Muhle R89 is rose gold looks sweet. 2. another brush. something best badgerish with a snazzy handle. 3. a straight

I'd be inclined to sell them. My first brush was an AoS Silvertip that shed like crazy - they were good enough to refund my money, but the experience put me off their brushes for good. Like you, I started with AoS products, but have since found a local store with better products for a better price.

FWIW I have the least expensive badger brush (that was $55 a year ago) and like it. Most, if not all, the DE razors are made by Mühle so that would be a thought.

Here is a thought. If you're considering a razor stand I'd suggest taking one of your razors with you to the store, and trying it out on the various stands. That is what I did, as I own a Lexington stand as one of my two razor/brush stands. Technically the stand is for the Gillette Fusion Flexball, but in practice it also fits my Merkur 34C and Gillette Red Tip well. There are two small prongs that mildly point up on the razor side of the stand, that might make a safety razor slightly tilt when seated. They are there for when the Flexball is there that is remains secure in the stand. Whatever you decide I wish you the best!

Hmm, I wish I had your problems. Anywho, if I were you, I'd kick the gift cards towards: 1. another razor. That Muhle R89 is rose gold looks sweet. 2. another brush. something best badgerish with a snazzy handle. 3. a straight

normally, the AOS sale prices do not extend to third party razors.

I'd be inclined to sell them. My first brush was an AoS Silvertip that shed like crazy - they were good enough to refund my money, but the experience put me off their brushes for good. Like you, I started with AoS products, but have since found a local store with better products for a better price.

i also had an AOS brush that shed and which they replaced. Since then, no problems on any of their brushes. It is rumored that Shavemac makes their silvertips now.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
a razor would drain better head down. when i use my slim, i clean it gently with a toothbrush and palmolive, then after towel drying it off ill open the doors and stand it on its head for a couple hours. as with most razors water will tend to go down the hole in the baseplate, and standing it on its head will help ensure draining it.
I would like to emphasize that drying any TTO with the head down is a very good idea. After seeing Captain Murphy's wonderful threads (DE forum sticky) on taking apart razors and letting us see the crudded internals, it makes very good sense to not dry this type of razor with the handle down. Standing my Fatboy on its head even with the doors closed and the blade left in only takes a couple of hours to drain.

I heard they went out of business. I've been handling the proper disposal of the outstanding gift cards that are out there. They are made with toxic materials and I'm authorized dispose of them. Please forward them as early possible so as to limit your exposure. Ps happy thanksgiving.

Travel kit, comprise of cream, balm, oil and brush is practical. I have a den full of supplies, but still find their balm and cream competitive. Xmas present of gift cards might lead to another hobbiest. Sell them on this forum at a discount.

Is there something they sell(razor, brush, etc) that is costly but you've always wanted? I know the razors they sell can be had elsewhere at a lesser price, but the gift cards work at TAOS, not elsewhere. IMO, I'd get what I wanted with the gift cards I had, and disregard the difference in price between TAOS and elsewhere.
Whether that's a straight, DE, brush, or other, I'd get what I wanted.

The trouble with their consumables is that I've found stuff I like better.

Tankerjohn suggested I look at the Mühle R89. I mentioned that I had a really cheap open-comb, and I got to thinking about trying something nicer. I poked around on the site, and the R89 seemed to have uniformly positive comments, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm glad I did. I loaded it with a Lord Platinum blade yesterday (I've never used Lord blades; I just grabbed something out of a sampler pack), and it's the best shave I've had in ages. Even better than what I got from a Shark or Feather from my cheap Merkur open-comb, and with less irritation. Even now, 24 hours later, the hair is just barely starting to come back in. And yes, though it makes no functional difference, I did spring for the rose gold. It was a gift, I may as well treat myself. :001_smile

Now I just need to convince myself to go spend ~$175 on the matching silvertip brush; I'm still using the pure that came with my gift set. As soon as I get that, I can put together a complete travel set and just keep it in my Dopp kit.

Thanks, Tankerjohn!

Can you use the cards for their shaving service? Get the "royal shave" or whatever they call it, and enjoy yourself. Other than that, I'd sell them or buy a straight. Can't go wrong with Thiers Issard.

Top Bottom