What's new

Who bought the "two coticules" on the bay?

Given the sizes I'm actually surprised they went as high as they did. I wasn't aware of that auction (no idea why, my search terms should have caught it, and I've seen that sellers listings before); but even if I had been, I may not have gone that high. Someone clearly wanted both stones.

I finally don't feel much need to buy cotis unless they are stupid deals. Have a great mix of stones now hardness and speed-wise. It's nice because they are like potato chips. $70ish potato chips......

Yeah, it's either one of them or an actual coti.

That's the only reason I was interested in it, I (thought I) remembered you saying something about green(?) marbled(?) coti looking stones that were good stones. I was gonna gamble on them but not as much as they ended up going for because of the small size.

I think we may actually find someone who knows what to call these stones sooner or later. In four years I had seen five. I bought three of them, and lost on the other two. In the past three months, maybe, I've bought three more, lost on a fourth, and missed this one. They seem to be turning up left and right now.

This stone just arrived from Spain, and it's another of these, as I hoped.
They're easy stones to mistake for very old and hard paddle coticules. I thought that was what they were for awhile. Possibly that's what everyone bidding against me on them in the past has been expecting. They're not though. Their feedback and behavior are similar to hard examples of y/g or l/g Thuri's, yet they don't seem nearly as porous, if porous at all. I did a water drop test in a thread for the first one I had, and as I recall it lasted nearly an hour before I got bored. Very curious stones. The one thing I notice is they almost always come reverse dished, by which I mean high centered. Which to me signifies that they've been cut thin (as they're found thin) typically and not heavily used. You see the same high centers on unused eschers when you find them. But like any stone that isn't extremely hard (Arkansas), even razor use should reverse this and begin to dish them eventually. Definitely all the ones I've found were razor stones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221600103505?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:
Haha. Well to add to the good news, I might even sell some. Lol

BLASPHEMY!!!!! BLASPHEMY! On a serious note I have been considering the same thing. I have two cotis in route to me as we speak, but I have so many now I should thin the heard if only to give other people the chance to become addicted. It seems that after I get one figured out and can produce really good edges from it I lose interest and want to go on to the next one.

Sorry I missed this thread so far but that was me that bought the lot. They aren't coming for a few weeks so I'll post them when they come. I'm hoping the small one is a les lat judging from the side of it but i have no idea.

Sorry I missed this thread so far but that was me that bought the lot. They aren't coming for a few weeks so I'll post them when they come. I'm hoping the small one is a les lat judging from the side of it but i have no idea.

Now that I'm clear on what Slice's mystery stones look like I'm thinking les lat, too.

The coloring could definitely be LL, but all the LL I can recall have a much more glassy (less satin) appearance than that. I wish you luck though. In any case, it's surely going to be a nice stone.

Top Bottom