What's new

All around man lotion for dry chapped skin?

Hey, I'm sure this post has been put before, so sorry for the repeat.

It is winter. What is worse than razor burn? A dry neck, face and hands. I get very very chapped almost everywhere.

Last week I went to B&BW and saw the C.O. Bigalow chapped hand cream. It was too expensive for the size for my budget. I really need something that I won't feel bad applying to my skin every time it needs it.

I can't do oily because of zit breakouts on my face, but I want to smell manly.

Any suggestions or pointers in general for getting rid of chapped skin is appreciated!

Thanks a ton B&B!

I will be interested to see what sorts of suggestions you get. I have the same issues. It has been worse this year than the last half dozen for some reason. I have problems with moisturisers as well. Most are too heavy for the most part. One problem I noticed is that any of the stuff with petrolatum or mineral oil is a no go for my skin. Particularly facial skin. It just sits there and feels greasy. I did find that it is referenced as an 'occlusive'. At least I think that's right. It means it won't mix with water therefore it certainly isn't going to mix with your skin's liquid content. I think it leads to the acne issues as well since it seals the skin rather than nourishes it.

I think cocoa butter is the same way but is better for your skin because it is a natural product that at least has some compatibility with skin. I think it too is an occlusive but I am unsure. I also seem to read a lot about shea and lanolin being very good for the skin. I think I read that lanolin is the closest natural product to human sebum(skin fluid) and makes a good match for dry skin. I think it is technically a wax so I am unsure of how well it actually moisturises or whether it just acts like cocoa butter and seals the skin. Shea seems to get a lot of praise for skin and hair use. I am currently using L'occitane Foot Cream for the purpose you mention. Well, all except the face. It is simply too heavy for that use. I have been using Proraso a/s balm as a face moisturiser but it is hardly ideal. The foot creams lists shea butter and a bunch of other things along with lavender. Thankfully no mineral oil though. It does not seem to build up or cause breakouts. It is dear though at $28 a tube. So yeah, I am looking for something I can slather on without such worry about the purse.

Currently I'm trying out Nivea Cream. So far it seems to do wonders for my feet. Seems to do alright for my hands, not as well, but alright.

Gold bond ultimate softening really works for me. Not oily at all and not to pricy. Scent is almost non-existent so it won't compete with your AS either.

utfisher, the Gold bond looks great, but I REALLY don't like the smell of Shea butter, sadly. My wife had a lotion that was almost pure Shea.. I can't do it anymore! It looks like some good reviews :)

Personally I think Shea, Cocoa, and all those are a little too thick for me. I have to be pretty careful with breaking out sadly :( I'm tempted to just run some lip balm all over my hands ;)

Shiloh, I may actually pick up a tin of this stuff. I like the tin -- makes it easy to carry in a bag. How often do you apply it personally?

EDIT: Has anyone tried the Gold Bond Everyday Men's stuff?

Last edited:
Has anyone tried Barnaby Black Salves? I'm SO tempted to pick one up. The Farmer Friendly one sounds good, but, then again, I'm a sucker for advertising!

I use CeraVe twice a day. All over my face, I even use it in my hair, and my arms and legs.
It goes on sale at Walgreens/CVS a few times a month, buy one get one half off. So for about $20, you can get two tubs of it.
Get the tub, not the pump. It's a different formulation, and to me the pump is greasy. The tub lotion goes on so light and soaks right in, no shine or greasy feeling.

utfisher, the Gold bond looks great, but I REALLY don't like the smell of Shea butter, sadly. My wife had a lotion that was almost pure Shea.. I can't do it anymore! It looks like some good reviews :)

Personally I think Shea, Cocoa, and all those are a little too thick for me. I have to be pretty careful with breaking out sadly :( I'm tempted to just run some lip balm all over my hands ;)

Shiloh, I may actually pick up a tin of this stuff. I like the tin -- makes it easy to carry in a bag. How often do you apply it personally?

EDIT: Has anyone tried the Gold Bond Everyday Men's stuff?

Yeah that Shea might put you off it, though the scent is quite light. It really is thick too but soaks up immediately. I've not tried their everyday mens.

Thanks for the tip on the tub and the sale. Both are news to me and I'll have to give this a try.

I use CeraVe twice a day. All over my face, I even use it in my hair, and my arms and legs.
It goes on sale at Walgreens/CVS a few times a month, buy one get one half off. So for about $20, you can get two tubs of it.
Get the tub, not the pump. It's a different formulation, and to me the pump is greasy. The tub lotion goes on so light and soaks right in, no shine or greasy feeling.

I've read reviews that says badger balm is pretty greasy. Anyone feel that way on here? I don't want breakouts all over my neck and lips :p

I've read reviews that says badger balm is pretty greasy. Anyone feel that way on here? I don't want breakouts all over my neck and lips :p
It's (the flagship Badger Balm) primarily olive oil and beeswax, and I find that it gets absorbed into the skin pretty quickly. They also make an AS shave oil that has different oils and no beeswax. Also my CBSU uses their After Sun Balm on her face (it has olive oil and beeswax and other good stuff) all the time. Check out their website and go crazy! (www.badgerbalm.com)

I have severe cracking and peeling problems on my hands in winter and I have tried a ton of different lotions. The two that work best for me are Neutrogena's Norwegian formula original hand cream and Eucerin's Aquaphor Advanced Therapy healing ointment. They're basically the same but they both work very well for me. I'm not in love with the ingredients list but like I said, I've tried dozens of other products and those are the only two that give me the results I am seeking. Good luck!

Before sleeping, put some Vaseline on your hands. It's the ultimate moisturizer, but unfortunately leaves marks and residue etc. but that's why I use it at night only. This frees you to use something more posh during the day. I don't have an answer for your face and neck though. Perhaps an inexpensive aftershave balm?

Some of those badger balm look very nice. Thank you for linking to them.
BB products rock! I'm happy to spread the word.

I get dry hands, cracked cuticles in the winter and Badger Balm for Hardworking Hands is the absolute best remedy I've ever used. I also use it as a lip balm. Excellent stuff!

I just can't see using Vaseline or Bag Balm I did use Bag Balm a few years ago...worked OK, but I didn't care for the smell and the greasiness...And I don't like soaking my skin with petroleum products. :bored:

http://www.badgerbalm.com/p-14-badger-balm-for-dry-cracked-hands.aspx

Last edited:
I just grabbed a BB from Amazon. It should be here from Prime by January ;) I'll update this with how it goes!

Top Bottom