What's new

Any fellow teen shavers out there?

I saw a post by a teen beginning to shave and begun to wonder if there was anyone else. Maybe when you began and why? Maybe even a couple of tips. I'm 15 and began because of a dislike of both shaving and how my facial hair looks, managed to find this forums and I've only DE shaved once so not like I have anything more than a first experience. Any stories? My shave ended up with a roundish area just about the size of a penny with holes I'd estimate fairly in the double digits on the underside of my chin :lol:

Don't know how many teens will be here on B&B… Hope you find some, but don't be shy to ask the rest of us questions too!! :lol: :thumbup:

Don't know how many teens will be here on B&B… Hope you find some, but don't be shy to ask the rest of us questions too!! :lol: [emoji106]
haha B&B is really friendly from what I've seen you just proved it further [emoji1] nice to see. was mostly curious if there was a good number of people around my age here

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm sure there are a few teens here. And if not maybe seeing this thread will get them to register!

I would be happy to see more first time shavers going straight to the traditional way.

Where bouts in MI are you BTW?

My son (jr in HS) shaves with a '57 DE a guy on here swapped with me for some straight razor work. That and a badger brush and some Arko and he's all set. Not a daily (heck, not weekly) shaver yet, but likes it when he does. It'll be awhile til we do any straight razor lessons though!

I started DE shaving when I was 17 and there was instantly no turning back. I am now almost 20. I have a little thing I live by which is, If you can turn something you dont enjoy into something you love youll live a happy life, and that is exactly wet shaving has done. I used to absolutely despise shaving and now i cant wait to do it.

Gotcha. Just curious. I go up camping once a year in the Dowagiac area
Oh okay

My son (jr in HS) shaves with a '57 DE a guy on It'll be awhile til we do any straight razor lessons though!

That's Great to hear! It's always nice to hear about fathers passing on a legacy to their sons, I've picked up a lot from my dad though shaving is more me as my dad doesn't shave. I want to try Straight razor shaving once i have more of a grip on DE and more cash to spend, both methods seem like good choices

I started DE shaving when I was 17 and there was instantly no turning back. I am now almost 20. I have a little thing I live by which is, If you can turn something you dont enjoy into something you love youll live a happy life, and that is exactly wet shaving has done. I used to absolutely despise shaving and now i cant wait to do it.

Honestly, spending time looking on the forums and trying out a new technique was exciting, and the process itself makes me look forward to shaving, more of an art than painfully cutting hairs off of my face

Last edited:
I was 14 when I first used a 1950's Gillette Super Speed. Absolutely loved it. Then after a few years went to the Mach 3 a few years later I'm back. Should have never left.

the process itself makes me look forward to shaving, more of an art than painfully cutting hairs off of my face

As you perfect the process, the pain will drop away and be replaced by awesomeness. Spend more time here and it will come to you much more quickly. :thumbup1:

As you perfect the process, the pain will drop away and be replaced by awesomeness. Spend more time here and it will come to you much more quickly. :thumbup1:
My first and so far only DE shave was much smoother and less painful than my average cart. shave, albeit being improperly equipped. My local walgreens doesn't stock anything besides low end shaving creams and high priced razors shaving section. I have to pick up a brush and soap when I get the chance

I was 14 when I first used a 1950's Gillette Super Speed. Absolutely loved it. Then after a few years went to the Mach 3 a few years later I'm back. Should have never left.
Once you go back, you can't go back? something like that :thumbup:

on a side note, am I over replying? not sure if it seems that way

My son (15) came to visit for the summer. He needed to learn how to shave. I taught him a few things with a cartridge. He asked about my straight razor. I told him he could try, be he just watched and was scared. Understandably so. Next summer when he comes out, I'm taking him to a barber for a straight shave. There's a few good ones around here. I'm also sending him home with a Vintage Gillette too

My son (15) came to visit for the summer. He needed to learn how to shave. I taught him a few things with a cartridge. There's a few good ones around here. I'm also sending him home with a Vintage Gillette too
That sounds like a great choice, cart is good for an introduction of sorts and it's good he can try his hand at traditional shaving methods.

Agreed. Young seem like a wise young man. Any good pointers for a young shaver I can pass on?
for DE the best prep to a first shave i think i did besides a good lather was kind of a mock-up prep, I tried different angles and pressures to try to hit that sweet spot of no pressure and 20-30 degrees before i shaved, couple practice swipes to get a feeling for it before i put a blade in, lather and all that good stuff
edit: also be confident when you test out the new method, oh and a big round collection of nicks on the underside of my chin reminded me to say watch grain patterns, don't go over a spot too many times, and watch out on that third pass

Last edited:
for DE the best prep to a first shave i think i did besides a good lather was kind of a mock-up prep, I tried different angles and pressures to try to hit that sweet spot of no pressure and 20-30 degrees before i shaved, couple practice swipes to get a feeling for it before i put a blade in, lather and all that good stuff
edit: also be confident when you test out the new method, oh and a big round collection of nicks on the underside of my chin reminded me to say watch grain patterns, don't go over a spot too many times, and watch out on that third pass

thanks Yaser I'll pass it on :001_smile

NOYCE! I'm glad that younger people are getting into it. It's been weird trying to spread the gospel of DE shaving to my friends (mid 20s) for the past couple months. I'll start citing that teenagers are even starting to get into it now.

Can I ask what kind of hardware/software you've started out with?

Top Bottom