What's new

Any fellow teen shavers out there?

@TheChariot

I've actually used the Nivea Cream, I just don't like the scent. Also, Arko is okay but to me, arko is just alot of cushion with not a ton of glide. In the end, I really enjoy the VDH scent.

Sintro nice to see another teen on this forum. what do you think of the VDH basic? I'll take your advice and start with cheaper soaps. seems like 4-5 shaves per blade is the average

thanks for that TheChariot!
your mini-guide will be a great springboard for me to start looking into what suits me best

VDH basic is my favorite soap actually. Make sure you have a nice aftershave too. I have an oily face so I flip between an alcohol splash and Nivea After Shave Balm (readily available pretty much anywhere).

If you have the money, try the VDH luxury too. The scent and shave from it are a little better than the basic/deluxe version, but when I face lather it just gets everywhere! So on days where I have a bit more time, I can go slower and not slop the luxury around everywhere.

Welcome to the board. Good to see some younger guys learning here.
Thanks mikeal, nice to be here

Sintro What do you think about the brush that comes with the kit, or did you just buy the soap?

Last edited:
The brush that comes with the kit is on the smaller side and it's not very high quality, it leaves some to be desired but I do fine with it. If I were to do it over again, I would get an Omega 48 brush or something similar.

There's alot of people that say the VDH basic boar brush shed ALOT for them. Mine didn't have this problem terribly.

The VDH basic kit is an awesome value for the money. At my local woodmans they have it for $6.99! To get a loading bowl, a boar brush, and a puck of soap is crazy good. VDH is normally about $1.50 at most stores, a bowl is worth around $1-2, leaving the brush costing you at most $4.50! For the money, the VDH boar brush is good. But for 5-10 bucks more, one can get a much much better brush.

Last edited:
I'm a younger gent too, going on 18. I got started straight shaving just because it seemed really fascinating. Now I've caught some serious AD, I spend an embarrassing amount of my paycheck trying out new products! I'm glad to see a couple more guys like me hanging out here, and I guarantee you'll find a wealth of knowledge from all the experienced guys around here.

I'm a younger gent too, going on 18. I got started straight shaving just because it seemed really fascinating. Now I've caught some serious AD, I spend an embarrassing amount of my paycheck trying out new products! I'm glad to see a couple more guys like me hanging out here, and I guarantee you'll find a wealth of knowledge from all the experienced guys around here.
haha seems AD been spreading throughout the forums since it first began may you always enjoy your indulgence, just try not to get too crazy (and I'll try to stay too far from getting too caught up)

thanks sintro I'll buy an omega brush, was thinking of buying the kit for the brush mainly thinking the bowl and soap would save me on costs.

I'm 25 I wish I started DE shaving at your age instead of following the masses and shave with a Fushion. If you never have shaved with a cartridge believe me you didn't miss anything out. I have started DE shaving 1,5 years ago, in February it will be 2 years.

If you don't have a blade sampler you should get one to try different blades. Many people here love the Astra SP's, they used to be my favorite blades till I shaved with a Permasharp. Good luck and happy shaving!

I'm 25 I wish I started DE shaving at your age instead of following the masses and shave with a Fushion. If you never have shaved with a cartridge believe me you didn't miss anything out. I have started DE shaving 1,5 years ago, in February it will be 2 years.

If you don't have a blade sampler you should get one to try different blades. Many people here love the Astra SP's, they used to be my favorite blades till I shaved with a Permasharp. Good luck and happy shaving!

I do have a sampler pack with astra included, I'll see how well i like them. I found this site after how unsatisfied I was from cartridge, so I know how crappy they can be. DE isn't common knowledge almost a forgotten art, no reason to regret a good lesson on why the best is so good :lol:

I'm 16 and fairly new to shaving

I found out about de shaving while watching Kramer from sienfeld shaving in one of the early episodes and was curious about what it was.

I was new to shaving and had only used disposal razors and used to get razor burn.

I quickly did some research and was impressed with how good it was.

So I'm ordered my razors and creams and started shaving and I'm loving it

Only problem is that my family thinks I'm crazy.

I'm 16 and fairly new to shaving

I found out about de shaving while watching Kramer from sienfeld shaving in one of the early episodes and was curious about what it was.

I was new to shaving and had only used disposal razors and used to get razor burn.

I quickly did some research and was impressed with how good it was.

So I'm ordered my razors and creams and started shaving and I'm loving it

Only problem is that my family thinks I'm crazy.

Don't worry about it. My family did a double take when they heard I was using a safety razor and my wife had bought me a shavette for my bday. I am a younger guy (24) so they thought it was just a trendy thing when I first started (about a year ago). But I really enjoy shaving this way and will probably continue to do this the rest of my life. Keep enjoying your shaves and improving your technique :thumbup1:.

Top Bottom