What's new

how to cut down on buffing?

I just had a rather lengthy shave with an EJ89. I know this is quite possibly the mildest of the razors out there, but there has GOT to be a way to cut down on buffing.

I used a persona red, RR artisan soap, and a nice shower to prep. I did 3 passes (the usual). Then I had to do 2 diagonal passes on the jaw line, buff under the nose and on the chin, and do not one but 2 against the grain passes on cheeks.

I mean... it was so mild that I could very comfortably do all of these without fear of weepers or irritation, but I don't even want to know how long I spent in there, haha!

Aside from using a feather perhaps on a with the grain pass...how can I perfect this very mild razor and cause it to be a bit more effective?

mswofford

Rest in Peace
The beard is heaviest on the chin and under the nose for all males (I hear). I shave 2 passes with a Gillette Tech/Feather blade; WTG and ATG to get a DFS on chin and under nose. The rest is close to BBS. I don't buff to get these results with the mild Tech.

No shame in going for a more aggressive razor although it shouldn't be taking that many passes with an EJ DE89. While on the milder side it is still mid level and there are many more razors that are more mild. Are you sure your angle is right and you are cutting fully? If it is that mild you can skip the WTG pass and go right to ATG.

I just had a rather lengthy shave with an EJ89. I know this is quite possibly the mildest of the razors out there, but there has GOT to be a way to cut down on buffing.

I mean... it was so mild that I could very comfortably do all of these without fear of weepers or irritation, but I don't even want to know how long I spent in there, haha!

Aside from using a feather perhaps on a with the grain pass...how can I perfect this very mild razor and cause it to be a bit more effective?

While many members think of this razor as being mild, I don't know where you got the idea that it is possibly the most mild razor. I would rate mine as about the same as a Slim set at 6 or 7 - middle of the road.

As Mike said, it is possible to get a very close shave with a mild razor, so I chalk-up your difficulties to technique. More practiced shavers are better shavers.

Practice and patience will eventually result in better and better shaves. Hang in there. It will come.

(Jinx18 is right)

Last edited:
I love my EJ89. I get a dfs with any blade and a good BBS with feathers and Lords (Astra only on the cheeks).

Also, WTG, XTG, ATG, and one last full shave really quick gets it all. The fourth pass I make very gentle and quick to make sure I am not hurting myself.

Edit: I don't remember what I was editing :p

Blade angle and technique. I have a Muhle R89, and I also have to buff below my jaw line...but I have to do the same regardless of the razor and blade. IMO, it all depends on how particular you are on the closeness of your shave.

No shame in going for a more aggressive razor although it shouldn't be taking that many passes with an EJ DE89. While on the milder side it is still mid level and there are many more razors that are more mild. Are you sure your angle is right and you are cutting fully? If it is that mild you can skip the WTG pass and go right to ATG.

+1 This is what it sounds like to me. If truly is the case that you need a more aggressive razor, then there are many good options. Good luck.

I love my EJ89. I get a dfs with any blade and a good BBS with feathers and Lords (Astra only on the cheeks).

Also, WTG, XTG, ATG, and one last full shave really quick gets it all. The fourth pass I make very gentle and quick to make sure I am not hurting myself.

Edit: I don't remember what I was editing :p
+1

Sounds like you made need to work on your technique a bit. I use the sane razor and get DFS every time with an occasional BBS.
Doing as many passes and buffing as you say can lead to irritation, I'd slow down and just focus on technique for a bit. Just my ¢2

For something quite similar but with probably an easier 'mow down', maybe the Razorock Mission? It's an easy gentle razor with a nearly identical head, but apparently twice as aggressive as the 89.

Are you sure you have the baseplate for your razor on the correct way? From your description it sounds like the sort of non-shave that you'd get if you had the baseplate flipped over instead of in the correct orientation.

Last edited:
I have been shaving with that razor for about a week and I make 2 passes and get an awesome shave. I have an average to coarse beard. So I'm guessing something is going wrong.

Top Bottom