What's new

Medium or Fine?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Depends on the brand; this chart will likely help.
http://www.nibs.com/TippingSizespage.htm

And from Pelikan (modern)
$nibs.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Obviously it will also depend on your writing style and how artistic/flamboyant a writing style you have or want. I personally have not significantly changed my writing style since transitioning from fine point roller ball pens to fountain pens, at least so far. I still use both at work, but I'm the only one reading them at this point, so there is no one to impress with any increase in flamboyant style due to switching to a FP. YMMV

All my pens are different... luckily you can get multiple nibs for pens and get where you want. As a general rule, the Japanese pens are a LOT more "fine" than the Europeans. But as Doug has mentioned, every brand is different - My two Italians: a Fine nib Delta is the same size as my Medium Monteverde. My Medium Cross is about the same size as my 1.1 Lamy... etc.

Goulet has a good nib comparison chart on thier site as well I believe.
Yes, but the nib nook only gives you a general idea...you don't really know until you get it in your hand or you're familiar with a certain brand.

It also depends on the paper, the ink you're using, etc. A really flowy, viscous ink will make a nib seem a bit wider in some cases.

Top Bottom