What's new

Need mountaineering advice!

I stopped because I had gone to far too many funerals for friends who died "doing what they loved". These were highly experienced people. Google Jim Haberl or Alex Lowe if you care to. They were 2 of my friends among many who have died.

I have been there, too. Hell, about 25 years ago I literally watched a friend just walk off a 700ft drop off, completely unroped, while we were both in virtual altitude coma.

But, it hasn't stopped me from pursuing the places I love.

If you knew Alex, then please tell Jennifer that Brad Ziel says hello. I haven't seen her in almost 15 years.

I miss the "old days" of mountaineering...when you could do it without a $100,000 bill and a team of photojournalists.

Makes no sense why an accomplished mountaineer would stay above treeline in hurricane force winds. I've been monitoring the MW Observatory and those wind speed / wind chill temps are something else.

Makes no sense why an accomplished mountaineer would stay above treeline in hurricane force winds. I've been monitoring the MW Observatory and those wind speed / wind chill temps are something else.

I think people get lulled in to a false sense of safety with the relatively low elevations. They completely underestimate the unique weather system there. I've signed up to do several winter hikes this year, only to bail out due to weather that I'm not comfortable being out in. Nothing even close to what she hiked in.

Monday I may get out to Tuckermans to try some backcountry skiing with my very experienced friend. You can bet I'll be watching the weather and the avalanche report like a hawk.

Didn't go yesterday. Too cold with considerable avalanche danger.

Here's another recently done video from the deck of MWO. These are lower wind speeds than what our recent victim encountered.

Yikes

I read that blog as well. In the other article, what the heck is she carrying in that pack if it's not a sleeping bag and bivy sack? Maybe that photo was taken on another hike.

I read that blog as well. In the other article, what the heck is she carrying in that pack if it's not a sleeping bag and bivy sack? Maybe that photo was taken on another hike.

That photo was lifted from her Facebook page. The fact she skipped snowshoes speaks volumes to her actual experience level/knowledge base. You can pay people lots of money to guide you up mountains and still have no idea how to plan for the mountains. I have zero winter mountaineering experience, but I know what gear to bring.

I'm really itching to get out again.

Top Bottom