What's new

Razor with black head.

I'm new at all this but am having a good time reading, learning and of course-shopping for razors and razor accessories. :biggrin1: So while trying to check out all the many different razors I saw one with a black coated head on it and kind of like the look but was wondering why they didn't coat the handle too. I own a small gun coating business, we coat peoples guns in a ceramic coating(Cerakote) so I thought "hey, I'm going to coat my razor" so I did a test run on my Merkur 34C HD and here's how it turned out.

$IMG_1389.jpg$IMG_1383.jpg

I gave her a try and the first shave was nice and slick/smooth!!

Looks great!

It will be interesting to hear how the coating keep at the area around the twist knob at the base.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm pretty sure the coating will last a longggg time, it's ceramic so it's very hard and very slick, not like an epoxy type paint at all. We use it to coat firearms and it holds up VERY well to abuse, can't imagine I'd be putting a razor through anything even close to that. A year ago I coated the exhaust on my car and it still looks like the day I coated them, brand new. My wife is giving me a hard time because I Cerakote everything around the house and now I've coated my razor, she thinks I'm nuts! ha ha.

I have a set of headers that would look wonderful on :)

My only question would be if the thickness of the coating would throw of the razor tolerances at all. I know you said it shaves just fine, but the coating is only millimeters thick, base plate and top cap, and the blade stays the same thickness. It would be neat to know, if even irrelevant, how the coating changes the geometry of the head. Hard to measure at our current hobbiest level.

Looks like a keeper.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm pretty sure the coating will last a longggg time, it's ceramic so it's very hard and very slick, not like an epoxy type paint at all. We use it to coat firearms and it holds up VERY well to abuse, can't imagine I'd be putting a razor through anything even close to that. A year ago I coated the exhaust on my car and it still looks like the day I coated them, brand new. My wife is giving me a hard time because I Cerakote everything around the house and now I've coated my razor, she thinks I'm nuts! ha ha.

Just stay away from the pets...

Very very cool, I've been on sabbatical from shaveing related purchases since 1/1/2014, and this makes me itch for a purchase!!! Well done! I want one!

Clintonde,

Ha ha, sounds like you have my disease too! I've coated quite a few things around the house, I'm always looking for something to coat. When I walked in with my razor my wife said "Oh no, really, you coated your razor!?!" and just laughed. Now I'm wondering how a Camo razor would look, or maybe Tungsten, or black and white, or there's always Flat Dark Earth!! ;)

Hi olschoolsteel,

I thought of that as well but since it is sprayed on at 1 mil(.001) thick I don't think it would have an effect on the tolerances much if any at all. One part of the process for coating an item is you have to etch the item to be coated. We use a blasting cabinet where it is lightly blasted, actually it's etching, with 120 grit Aluminum Oxide. I feel that this probably removes a very thin layer of the top metal so when you apply the Ceramic you're probably most likely back to just about original tolerance. Or that's my thinking anyway. I figure if I can coat some pretty darn nice guns with tight tolerances then a razor shouldn't be a problem, it does seem to shave really nice and ceramic is slick as snot so all the gunk just washes right off. Now I'm eyeballing my new EJ razor!! Hmmm...

Last edited:
That looks really good. I'd love to get my razor coated, but then I'd be afraid of it looking awful once I get three days of soap scum on it. Now if there was a white ceramic coating...

Scott

Scott,
Though I've only used mine once so far the gunk just slid right off. Ceramic is VERY slick, after coating a gun of course I need to lubricate it as I reassemble it, it always amazes me when I watch the oil bead up on it because it is so slick. Oh, there is a white, two whites actually. Recently had a customer ask us to coat his Colt AR black/white, here it is;
$Snow02.jpg
Edited to add that I hope posting a pic of gun isn't a no no, if so let me know and I'll remove it.

Last edited:
Awesome! You got to Cerakote an AR for a storm trooper.

Scott,
Though I've only used mine once so far the gunk just slid right off. Ceramic is VERY slick, after coating a gun of course I need to lubricate it as I reassemble it, it always amazes me when I watch the oil bead up on it because it is so slick. Oh, there is a white, two whites actually. Recently had a customer ask us to coat his Colt AR black/white, here it is;
View attachment 523007
Edited to add that I hope posting a pic of gun isn't a no no, if so let me know and I'll remove it.

That finish looks great - commonly used on tactical knives as well so should be good to go for a while...

Nice job mate.

Top Bottom