What's new

Barrister & Mann leviathan

Haha I love the descriptions. Keep em coming. I'm really interested in this soap now. How would I go about getting a sample before I even get a puck haha. Anyone?

It's available as an individual sample even though the B&M "kit" is out of stock
http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/barrister-mann-artisan-shaving-soap-samples/

I describe it as "musk, leather, and coffee". It's very long lasting on the skin, and smells great but I have to admit I can't use it a couple days in a row.

If it is still an issue I want to reiterate- get one of the fougeres, even if it's vegan. I have both and can't tell a huge difference. Both qualify as amazing soaps. I might say MDC performs better, but for scent the Fougere Imperiale is perhaps my favorite soap.
I think others have done a good job trying to describe Leviathan. I will add my two cents just to say it is also an amazing soap. It is leathery and coffee, very yummy to me.

Leviathan is okay. Lavanille, on the other hand, is my all-time favorite soap scent. Lavanille will be back in stock on Monday.

coffee + old leather. That's what I get. I'm finding more B&M scents I'm not a huge fan of lately. This is one of them along with Roam. Very dirty, earthy and loud. Just YMMV and my personal preferences. Give me the Seville and the VHCS. The range of scents at B&M is pretty intense. I appreciate the daringness of the scents, but several are definitely not for me.

+1

Old, musty leather dusted with stale coffee. My wife told me to bin it stat! :blink:

Bumping up old thread.
The coffee+sandalwood had my attention but in a curious way. I am eyeing a full tub but scent description alone is not helping to take a decision. Irrespective of scent notes, there is no mention of scent strength. I tend to pass on weak scent notes; Tabac and Lavanille are just another shave soaps and their scent strength doesn't bother me a bit.

Can someone chime in if Leviathan is weak to medium or medium plus some kind of scent.

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Bumping up old thread.
The coffee+sandalwood had my attention but in a curious way. I eyeing a full tub and scent description alone is not helping to take a decision. Irrespective of scent notes, there is no mention of scent strength. I tend to pass on weak scent notes; Tabac and Lavanille are just another shave soaps and their scent strength doesn't bother me a bit.

Can someone chime in if Leviathan is weak to medium or medium plus some kind of scent.
Medium to strong scent. A masterpiece, in my humble opinion.

It is more on the strong side. When I pair the soap and the matching aftershave, I smell it all day long.

@Hannah's Dad, a recommendation coming from someone who loves Tabac is dead pointer that I should get it.
@jdp93 thanks for confirm the strength. Unfortunately I have to make do with just the soap. US postal services are paranoid about alcohol content in shipping.

Leviathan for me smells like walking into a leather shop were the owners smoked and brewed coffee all day but occasionally sprayed an earthy spicy air freshener.
My description of Leviathan would match this but without the earthy spicy air freshener. To my nose it is leather, stale cigarette and stale coffee.

I have 10 differentd soaps from B&M and Leviathan is the only one I haven't developed an appreciation for. Many people love the scent but I'm not in that camp. There is variation in each batch and from batch to batch so every tub of soap probably smells just a little different from the rest with different scents being more prominent in some tubs than others.

Top Bottom