What's new

What should my second soap be?

Go with a known quantity because in the end you will hear all about them on this board and want to try them

Speick
Arko
Proraso
TOBS
Cella

All reasonably priced to down right cheap in the case of Arko; so much so that an arko stick and a cella bowl or Proraso tube would cost the same as one of the others mentioned...two soaps (and quality ones) for the price of one.

Best advice, imo ... stick to a well known soap with a lot of history (and no fancy brand names), and a solid reputation.

While on the pricey side for the amount I think Valobra stick is one of the single most underrated soaps out there. It is also made as a puck in four different scents.

on the less expensive end there is the Wilkonson stick that is very highly praised, lightly scented, and blue (the color makes all the difference).

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I recommend Proraso Green, either the soft soap or tube of cream. Cheap and easy to get on-line or locally at Bath and Bodyworks sold as "C.O. Biglow" brand. The menthol feels great on the skin. Its very soothing. Plus, Proraso Green is one of the "benchmark" products everyone's got to try at least once.

Proraso saved my bacon this morning as I had to do a sub-24 hour shave before work, which usually means mega irritation. It would have been a much less comfortable shave with a non-menthol lather.

I'd start with the standards, Cella or Proraso. Then check out Stirling. They sell sample pucks (1/4 puck) for next to nothing, so you can try a bunch of different ones without breaking the bank.

--Bob

Last edited:
I'm a newbie as well -- maybe just under a month into my DE shaving experience. A few days ago I picked up a tub of Proraso White soap, and I'm already loving it. Since you're looking for an effective, lightly scented soap, I don't see how you can go wrong with this one. It's formulated for sensitive skin, but its light smell is great, its small amount of menthol is cooling, and it's just been a joy to use.

Some water under the bridge since I started this thread. My second soap was Cella. Wonderful soap. It is now what I use as the standard to compare new soaps. Shave with Cella and the next day try the new soap.

Since then I have been trying others - several Razorock, Catie's Bubbles, and today some Maggard and Strop Shoppe samples arrived. Quite an adventure so far.

Tobs and cella are very strong scents. Cella is a stong almond scent.Also I hear tabac can be smelled on someone 24 hours after shaving up until a shower. Reef point barber shop is very nice. Not to strong. Also razorock xxx. Mitchell's wool fat is my favorite and many others too. Nice faint clean smell.

Top Bottom